• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (1 Viewer)

Not wanting to be a party pooper, but there's no general access to Bowers at present. Hopefully the reserve will open sooner rather than later.

The Naze Red-backed Shrike is still there this morning.

Had some great views and took some nice shots of red back shrike at bowers marsh today bump into Steve and few more although not officially open you can walk round cheers dave

There was a turn around of birders at this site which as detailed above is not officially open yet but it would seem difficult to stop birders visiting for this bird when dog walkers, cyclists, joggers and others currently also use the trails.

This bird was very tame.

Attachments

• Red-backed Shrike Bowers Marsh 01092013 WEB 160.jpg
    Red-backed Shrike Bowers Marsh 01092013 WEB 160.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Red-backed Shrike Bowers Marsh 01092013 WEB 236.jpg
    Red-backed Shrike Bowers Marsh 01092013 WEB 236.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Red-backed Shrike Bowers Marsh 01092013 WEB 191.jpg
    Red-backed Shrike Bowers Marsh 01092013 WEB 191.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Wryneck showing well at Old Hall Marshes this morning - on the main path at the top of the sea wall.

I am glad, and a little relieved, that it was still present for your visit, Graham. I have now had reported observations for all six days between Tuesday and Sunday (bar Thursday); always, if specified, near "Crescent".

I hope you were able to see a load of other species during your visit.

I was at Dungeness that day and saw ... a Wryneck .... There seems to be an unusually large passage from Norway this year. This should peak in early September but wind patterns may change.

For new birders: this seems to be the year to find Wrynecks. It is several years since my previous UK record. Now I have two within one week. They always seem smaller than I expect and can either be confiding or skulk. To me, the call seems very similar to Green Woodpecker. So, if you hear this from a thicket, you may well find Wryneck.

Dave

Thank you for putting me onto it it in the first place Dave! Was nice to see the Wryneck and get a couple of snaps for the records.

It is a nice patch i will be going back very soon.

There were some Whitethroats around and plenty of Curlew in the fields. The Marsh Hariers put on a good display by spooking the Curlew sending 100+ birds skywards.

Ha, i had the early shift bewteen 9am and 11am!

There were two nice guys called Steve and Mark also, not sure if they are on the forum, Mark has to take credit for finding the Wryneck.

Graham,

My apologies. One thing I forgot to mention is that a lot of birds disappear into the vegetation of the saltings, especially in Tollesbury Channel. This applies even to large birds such as Curlew. My guess is that 500 Curlew would probably have been present plus Bar-tailed Godwits, Golden and Grey Plover etc. etc. They may have been very hard to see. At high tide they either are forced off the saltings or are forced onto the highest ground. Hence the best time to be observing the channel off Crescent and Irongate, is the 90 minutes prior to high tide. Tide tables can be obtained for £1 from a ships' chandler or accessed free on line. Before someone corrects me, the tables are free but a donation to the RNLI of at least £1 is expected.

I say probably because the birds present often change substantially from day to day, let alone week to week, especially during migration.

Dave

Last edited:
There was a turn around of birders at this site which as detailed above is not officially open yet but it would seem difficult to stop birders visiting for this bird when dog walkers, cyclists, joggers and others currently also use the trails.

This bird was very tame.

Nice shots Steve, and good to meet you on Sunday.

Didn't notice any signs restricting access but I heard that construction may be back in progress on the paths. Guess this may be during the week, so visitors may need to consider that.

Two whinchat over the weekend at Thurrock Thameside. 3 clouded yellows on Fobbing side of Fobbing marshes, along raised bank where electric pylon work is underway.

There is ongoing work on site and the tracks are not public footpaths. The footpath is along Manorway, currently closed due to National Grid doing work on the powerlines, and to the north from the church to Benfleet.

There is a sign on the main gate saying no entry construction site but other signs have been removed by those not wanting to be prevented going around the site, dog walkers etc.

The reserve will be open in the fullness of time and hopefully birders will challenge dog walkers on site as they will not be allowed though probably with the usual response of I've also walked Fido over here.

Anyway please do not visit until the site is officially opened or another decent bird is found by the staff or volunteers.

cheers all

I just had to go back for more in better light, what a cracker

Attachments

• Red-backed Shrike Bowers Marsh 04-09-2013 WEB 037.jpg
    Red-backed Shrike Bowers Marsh 04-09-2013 WEB 037.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Red-backed Shrike Bowers Marsh 04-09-2013 WEB 008.jpg
    Red-backed Shrike Bowers Marsh 04-09-2013 WEB 008.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 64
Very little in Gunners Park this morning so spent some time with this fella

Attachments

• Spotted Flycatcher Gunners Park 07-09-2013 WEB 010v4.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher Gunners Park 07-09-2013 WEB 010v4.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 61
A Kingfisher at Sandford Mill near Chelmsford this morning. Also a Grey Wagtail, Kestrel and Sparrowhawk.

Skylarks and linnets notable by their absence but there were:

Blue tit
Great tit
Robin
Chiffchaff
Wood pigeon
Feral pigeon
Collared dove
Green woodpecker
Moorhen
Pheasant
Black headed gull
Herring gull
Carrion crow
Jay
Magpie
Whitethroat
Mute swan
Cormorant

And I think some reed buntings in the brook vegetation but I didn't get a clear view. (Edit: that's one of their usual haunts, and on the wires above)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back