• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (3 Viewers)

Thanks to David Low for saying

" In short Gents I think it is highly probable that the Least Weasel(Siberian Lemming) had a reasonable successful summer & managed breeding several times I also think that the Arctic Summer was favourable to all the said species, I have seen many juvenile Brent in accelerated plumage with the neck collar forming & frankly they look in good shape, or as Fat as Butter.
Lets hope for a good Short-eared Owl, Rough legged Buzzard & Snowy Owl winter too!!!"

Bring on the SEO's!

I spent 2 hours at my beach hut at Seaview, West Mersea this morning, the following overflew:2 separate egrets flew east to west along the beach, large flight of oystercatchers and similar of dunlin then 3 flights of brent geese - 7 then 8 then 6, the 8 landed on the water in front of us for a while. finallly a single curlew overhead east to west.

2 turnstone on beach on incoming tideline and a single oystercatcher as well.

some smaller birds flew overhead also heading west (seemed to be the popular direction for the day) but couldn'd get them on the binoculars quick enough to i.d.

nothing very exciting but was nice to get away from the house for a while

Last edited:
Good birds to see. When I've seen those it has been a very odd experience as it's just look so strange seeing them in England, they're birds I associate with exotic climes.

The Glossy on the meads was a huge shock wasn't it..Being on are local patch right by a very busy town center, a busy pub/restaurant and a big shopping park not to mention the place has roundabouts and road's going around the whole patch..But it was great!!!

A nice afternoon at Abberton produced a Spoonbill and a Glossy Ibis (a first for me)

Managed a 2 second view of the Glossy Ibis roosting at Wat Tyler mid week. Let's hope one locates in a place where better views are afforded. (I missed the Baddows bird last year).

and Marc Outen informed me that RSPB Bowers Marsh will be opening on October 26th.
It's located here http://www.rspb.org.uk/events/detail...d=tcm:9-208805 if you need directions

Last edited:
Common Scoter, LT Duck (fem), and my first autumn Goldeneye and Red Breasted Merganser (fem) were on and over the Thames at East Tilbury on Saturday morning. .... Winters Coming!

Managed a 2 second view of the Glossy Ibis roosting at Wat Tyler mid week. Let's hope one locates in a place where better views are afforded. (I missed the Baddows bird last year).

The Glossy Ibis was showing extremely well from Layer Breton causeway this p.m. Flew off 3-ish but only dropped behind trees at the west end of the res. Bittern there too.

Phil

The Glossy Ibis was showing extremely well from Layer Breton causeway this p.m. Flew off 3-ish but only dropped behind trees at the west end of the res. Bittern there too.

Phil

Yes, when I saw it at mid-day the Glossy Ibis was feeding right along the edge of the causeway - when it wasn't being mobbed by the gulls (who obviously considered it far too exotic). A couple of very dull record shots are attached. Looking over the reservoir from School Lane there was a lone Bewick's Swan in a shallow section of the main reservoir. Lots of Pintail have arrived, but no sign of the recent Spoonbill though.

Stewart

Attachments

• Glossy Ibis Abberton 1.jpg
    Glossy Ibis Abberton 1.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Glossy Ibis Abberton 2.jpg
    Glossy Ibis Abberton 2.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 46
A question as I'm quite curious, whilst I was out this evening looking for a kingfisher which I found, I saw 4 magpies fighting. One, at one point, stood on top of another magpie and gave it a good pecking. Would they kill each other? In the end they flew off cus they saw me.

A question as I'm quite curious, whilst I was out this evening looking for a kingfisher which I found, I saw 4 magpies fighting. One, at one point, stood on top of another magpie and gave it a good pecking. Would they kill each other? In the end they flew off cus they saw me.

when a mummy and daddy love each other very much...

Edit- who is going to lbc tomorrow morning?

Last edited:
I often see groups of magpies that look like they are attacking each other.Never seem to do much harm to each other ,I think it's some sort of Rank thing depending on age/Seniority as they are quite social birds

Perfect pics of glossy ibis today coming up.

EDIT

Pics added

Attachments

• glossy 2.JPG
    glossy 2.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 39
  • glossy ibis.JPG
    glossy ibis.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 49
  • glossy3.JPG
    glossy3.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Thanks to Steve (BB) for taking me to see the Abberton Ibis, what a fab bird! It wasn't there at first then I saw it fly in and land down the other side of the causeway. Also plenty of Pintail and some fly over Fieldfare. We didn't have much time but we had a look around Abbotts Hall for the first time and we were fairly impressed, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Weasel, 2 Marsh Harriers, Green Woodpecker and loads of Waders.

Attachments

• IMG_3349-2.jpg
    IMG_3349-2.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3241.jpg
    IMG_3241.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 36

Users who are viewing this thread

Back