• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (5 Viewers)

So the Stour, Blackwater, Roach & Colne Estuarys are now among 27 new Marine Conservation Zones put in place around the UK.
http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/news/2013/11/20/first-wave-marine-protection-welcome

Does anyone know what this actually means? entails?

As I understood it these are no-take zones for fishing - the areas become marine nature reserves… though a quick search has not yielded any information to confirm exactly 'what' a MCZ is or whether such protection is automatic following the designation. 'Hopefully' it is good news for the local waterways and coast but not knowing the details I won't be popping the champagne corks just yet.

I believe Skomer Island in Wales is one, the waters around the island are protected and there is no fishing permitted, possibly boat disturbance is controlled too if I remember correctly. I remember seeing a programme suggesting that these areas allowed fish and marine life to flourish and spread out into the surrounding seas, enriching areas that were outside the protected area. In an estuary it's probable that the impact will be felt upstream too, though there would need to be research into that.

Are twite still regular at old hall???
I thought regular birds had pretty much disappeared along the Essex coast and only the off individual or two turned up but happy to be proved wrong lol

I am not in Essex at the moment but when I return I'll ask the Paul Charlton, the warden there, about the status. I have recorded them most years but only on one or two visits in any winter. This suggests to me that Twite pass through and some use Old Hall as a staging post most years. Or perhaps some remain in the general area but are mobile. I don't know. After pausing to check old EBRs, I would say that they tend to support this opinion. This is not, however, independent verification as some of the observations may have originally been mine.

I wonder how many Twite get missed. They are archetypal LBJs. Having recorded (genuine) Linnets earlier, I had originally assumed the Twite seen earlier this year were also Linnet. It was only after a later, better, view that I realised what they were. By the same reasoning, I suspect that Rock Pipit and Water Pipit, seen at a distance, are sometimes assumed to be Meadow Pipit.

Dave

The trend of diminishing Twite numbers is not limited to Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk have seen huge fall in numbers. There are still occasions where the odd small flock may appear on coastal saltmarsh, along with widely scattered single figures, but like Essex regular coastal flocks of 70+ are very very rare occurances these days. I now only ever see Twite when I go to Shetland and probably not seen a local south Essex bird for many years.

Trend of losing birds from my local area continues with Nuthatch all but gone (only 1 bird in Hockley Woods), Coal Tit hanging on by a thread, Bullfinches now limited to only 2 regular sites with a 3rd more intermitent, Tree Sparrows and Hawfinch local rares and worthy of twitch status. All, with exception of the Hawfinch which was always scarce but now very rare, were once pretty easy to see around the Southend area, not seen Bullfinch in Hockley or Belfairs Woods in way over a decade :(

Flip side of the coin is the upward trend in some species from rare to hardly glance at these days, such as Little Egret, Avocet, MedGulls as well as favourable returns of breeding Nightingales.

Lets hope Twite recovers.

Last edited:
It's certainly sad to see Bullfinch, Tree Sparrow and Coal Tit so scarce - I can only hope that they bounce back before they are completely gone from the county. The trend for Avocet and Little Egret is encouraging though, and that we still have Nightingales is wonderful (I've heard them around Chelmsford). I don't imagine we'll ever get the numbers of Nightingales (or the sheer density!) that the Suffolk coast gets though, it can be quite an astonishing experience to walk around some of the villages there in the late evening or early morning, particularly when the Stone Curlews start calling too!

"Lets hope Twite recovers."

Hear hear! I have never seen one but would love to, gorgeous little birds!

The Bullfinches locally have a rather static number, ie 2-3 at the Rayleigh site and 3-4 at the Benfleet Downs site with no obvious population increases despite male and female birds present at both locations. Coal Tits are present on Hockley Woods (2birds) and at a wood in Thundersley (probably only 2-3 birds). Hockley Woods birds can be difficult to locate but they do favour a section of the wood but Belfairs and other woods are pretty much lost their pairs.

Nuthatch was having a population increase and range expansion a few years ago from their strongholds in Hockley and Belfairs to surrounding woodlands and Benfleet Downs but for some unknown reason this expansion retracted a few years later and the healthy populations in Hockley and Belfairs crashed. Gone are the days of walking around Belfairs and the Golf Course and finding numerous calling birds. I have now not seen a bird at all locally this year, failed to see the lone remaining Hockley Woods car park bird. It is on the verge now of becoming a locally extinct species.

Other once fairly common or widespread species have declined and not limited to woodland birds. Yellowhammer is now scarce with only a couple of sites where you stand a chance of getting one or two, even in winter, Bowers, Wallasea Island etc. Gone are the days of flocks of wintering buntings, I remember winter flocks of Yammers at Eastwood well into three figures. Corn Bunting still fairly numerous in strongholds, Wallasea Island, Paglesham, Fleet Head at Wakering but Two Tree Island no longer has wintering flocks, the occasional bird may get seen but not the 20's and 30's that used to be present.

It's an unknown why some of these species decline across a range of habitats and locations, especially some of those that are managed properly, and it is worrying that other commoner species here like Reed Bunting, Mistle Thrush and Song Thrush for instance are becoming fairly uncommon.

I now make a note of any Song Thrush I get in the garden as it struggles to have a yearly score of more than 3 or 4 sightings, down from near weekly sightings only 6 years ago.

boreham today

I needed some fresh air and an escape from paperwork and e-paperwork this p.m. so I went over to the reservoir and fishing lakes at Cranham Rd boreham from where I have posted a couple of previous reports, nothing unusual but good numbers of lapwings in particular,here's a list...
on the reservoir:
greylag geese 160+
canada geese 130+
lapwing 164+ ( I counted 164 on one photo - see the attachment below)
coot 60+
widgeon 40+
pochard 8
tufted duck 10
mallard 8
gadwall 4
cormorant 6
teal 12
lt grebe 3
mute swan 1
heron 1 - overflew
also 1 very light brown speckled white goos and one pure white amongst the greylags

the lapwings which were mainly on the island and greylags and canada geese on the north bank were suddenly startled by something and all took flight when I had been there about 1/2 hour, the geese just went onto the water but the lapwings flew off and came back later - see photos, don't know what it was but guess it might have been a fox on the prowl, a similar disturbance occurred amongst the greylags on the eastern bank later butas that was about 300yards away I couldnt see the reason again

on the fishing lake I noted:
2 mute swans
at least 20 coot
4 mallard
1 heron - flew off, may have been the one that overflew earlier
1 snipe - regret to admit I disturbed it only a few yards from me when I stood near the water's edge

also saw 2 jays in the scrub field next to the footpath on the northern side and a song thrush in the hedge - several other birds singing but couldn't see them to identify them (and I'm not very good on bird song:C)

Attachments

• 4083 greylags.JPG
    4083 greylags.JPG
    556.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 4108 164 LAPWINGS.JPG
    4108 164 LAPWINGS.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 4104 lapwings on the wing.JPG
    4104 lapwings on the wing.JPG
    575.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 4115 canada geese.JPG
    4115 canada geese.JPG
    583.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 4139 mixed bunch on the south side.JPG
    4139 mixed bunch on the south side.JPG
    726.1 KB · Views: 43
east mersea 29-11-13, p.m.

I was at mersea today (oiling my beach hut decking) and having finished in good time I headed for East Mersea point to see what was around, no snow buntings unfortunately but lots of others although nothing exciting
here's a list with the minimum numbers seen i.e. at any one time so as not to duplicate...
on the fields / marsh behind the sea wall:
brent geese (approx 300)
widgeon in their 100's - I gave up trying to count them but reckon about 500 (see photo)
3 greylag geese
1 curlew (can you spot it in the first photo?)
15 mallard
8 teal
1 little grebe on the fleet behind the wall
2 pied wagtails
1 song thrush
1 marsh harrier behind sea wall about 1/4 mile north west of the point
numerous starlings on field with brent geese

on the beach / saltings..
51 shelducks
20 brent geese which later flew onto fields (included in figure above)
several large flocks of dunlin ( probably 100+ per flock) plus a few small groups / singles
5 turnstone
10 grey plover
3 curlew
3 redshank
4 cormorants - on sea & flying over
3 little egrets

as I left the island, I also noticed a large number of dunlin on the mud flats on the Strood and also a number of lapwings (at least 15) on the mud banks/ saltings edge

I bet somebody reports a double figure number of snow buntings tomorrow now! - would be just my luck:C

Attachments

• 4154 brents, widgeon and a curlew.JPG
    4154 brents, widgeon and a curlew.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 30
  • 4265 widgeon.JPG
    4265 widgeon.JPG
    694.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 4325 egret.JPG
    4325 egret.JPG
    586.6 KB · Views: 19
Steve,with regards to nuthatch,have their numbers plummeted since the last 3 years where we have had severe periods of cold each winter or was they starting to diminish before this time?

I needed some fresh air and an escape from paperwork and e-paperwork this p.m. so I went over to the reservoir and fishing lakes at Cranham Rd boreham from where I have posted a couple of previous reports, nothing unusual but good numbers of lapwings in particular,here's a list...

Are there any more pics of the part of the flock which is in the last photo? Might be the angle, but to me the goose on the left doesn't look quite right for a Greylag and looks more like one of the smaller grey geese, probably a juv. White-fronted Goose.

Steve,with regards to nuthatch,have their numbers plummeted since the last 3 years where we have had severe periods of cold each winter or was they starting to diminish before this time?
this has been a little more protracted over the past decade and not related to the cold weather of recent years, though perhaps it didn't help matters.

Are there any more pics of the part of the flock which is in the last photo? Might be the angle, but to me the goose on the left doesn't look quite right for a Greylag and looks more like one of the smaller grey geese, probably a juv. White-fronted Goose.
Also small goose in image one also, upper most bird on the right of the image, looks White-front like..

Almost certainly not a Hobby, more likely a Peregrine or even a Merlin. Hobbies will be back in their wintering grounds by now

Hobby can linger well into autumn. Usually the final few lingering birds depart around the last week of October. November records are scarce so Steve is almost certainly on the money. It would be unusual to mistake a Peregrine for a Hobby. Also most southern Peregrines and Merlins prefer coastal haunts. Could it have been a Kestrel?

Dave

Originally Posted by neil78

Originally Posted by Steve Arlow;......Also small goose in image one also, upper most bird on the right of the image, looks White-front like.. ..

Sorry only just seen this as I was out last evening - it now explains the puzzling text I had from BB this morning!

here are some crops of the photos I posted plus some more cropped ones, afriad the quality isnt brilliant (in fact pretty cr*p but I was on ISO 1600 because of the light) having enlarged them I'm not totally sure myself so any opinions most welcome, hope these help to solve the mystery.....

BTW , a friend of mine sent some very nice pics of a glossy ibis at Maldon yesterday in the field next to the road to Northey Island causeway (South house chase), not seen it reported elsewhere

Attachments

• 4082 cropped.JPG
    4082 cropped.JPG
    452.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 4083 cropped.JPG
    4083 cropped.JPG
    528.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 4137 cropped.JPG
    4137 cropped.JPG
    683.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 4139 cropped.JPG
    4139 cropped.JPG
    749.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 4140 cropped.JPG
    4140 cropped.JPG
    742.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
The Glossy is chilling out at Limbourne Creek (as told to me by essexpics, that famous young man in the EWT magazine!)

Today was sad as I drove past a tawny owl at fingringhoe. It was sat on the floor, I tried to stop in time and snap it, but it flew off.

Nice day at F'ho though, with hunting Marsh Harriers, 2 kingfishers and all of your expected waders.

lol thanks Steve.

Glossy Ibis brings my patch list up to 90 birds this year. What a great bird to have on the patch, was so close, closer than the Abberton bird, shame the light was so poor!

Attachments

• IMG_3543.jpg
    IMG_3543.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3566.jpg
    IMG_3566.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 58

Users who are viewing this thread

Back