• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (2 Viewers)

Excuse the bad photo's - what's this? Seen over Langdon lake today.

This series of photos also appears to indicate the other ID feature of Sparrowhawk (well, all Accipiters really) - the distinctive flight: flap, flap, glide; flap, flap, glide; and so on.

Stewart

Snow Buntings in Jaywick

A large flock of Snow Bunting have taken up residence on the beach at Jaywick. I think that they've been reported for the last two weeks or so. The flock might also be growing in size. Today I counted 60 (well, 58 on the first count and 61 on the second count). I guess that they might move around on the long stretch of beach there, but today they were on the beach opposite Sea Shell Way. Dog walkers (and the sun brought quite a few out today) tend to make them a bit flighty. I always think that these birds look at their best when a large flock takes flight.

Stewart

Snow Buntings in Jaywick

I always think that these birds look at their best when a large flock takes flight.

Stewart

Agreed! They look wonderful in flight in winter sunshine - I remember seeing them for the first time in Norfolk, a flock of about a hundred wheeling low over the beach at Holme dunes. Breathtaking, they just looked so fantastic. :t:

Can anyone tell me if the flock of snow buntings are still present in Jaywick today?

There were reports earlier in the week of numbers close to 60 birds showing on the beach.

A clear Kestrel picture and at the moment, due to size and strength, the people of the forum and abberton are looking over the flight pic for that of a Goshawk.

Who knows. Probably a fat sparrowhawk :-(

BB

Attachments

• KESTREL.JPG
    KESTREL.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 61
  • poss.JPG
    poss.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 77
The second pic is a female Sparrowhawk, long square cornered tail, indistinct supercilium, broadish wingtips etc.

Goshawk are large, powerful looking birds; like Sparrowhawks on steroids though some large female Sparrowhawks can be male Goshawk sized but still generally large the powerful appearance. Goshawk are intermediate between Sparrowhawk and a Buzzard or Harrier but perhaps closer to the latter two than to Sparrowhawks.

In Essex Gossies are still extremely uncommon, I've only ever seen two locally.

about 40 fieldfares in trees and on ground at Brick End, Broxted this morning, I was supposed to be plane watching but watching these filled in the time inbetween flights, nice to be able to combine hobbies sometimes

any ideas please?

anyone care to have a stab at what this is, it was in the trees behind my garden yesterday morning but I couldnt get a decent pic of it I'm afraid and by the time I could get my binoculars from the car it had gone. Having looked at the photo I'm none the wiser

Attachments

• mystery bird7562.JPG
    mystery bird7562.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 76
The second pic is a female Sparrowhawk, long square cornered tail, indistinct supercilium, broadish wingtips etc.

Goshawk are large, powerful looking birds; like Sparrowhawks on steroids though some large female Sparrowhawks can be male Goshawk sized but still generally large the powerful appearance. Goshawk are intermediate between Sparrowhawk and a Buzzard or Harrier but perhaps closer to the latter two than to Sparrowhawks.

In Essex Gossies are still extremely uncommon, I've only ever seen two locally.

Interesting that you draw a comparison between goshawk and harrier Steve.

I was in a hide on the Black Isle (Scotland) last month working through several hundred waterfowl looking for an American Wigeon when everything went up. I glanced upwards and saw a large raptor for a few seconds as it flew straight towards me and over the hide. In the initial glace it appeared Marsh harrier(esque) and that also fit my the terrain but on speaking to others in the group they are very rarely seen there. More likely to be a buzzard, but I've spent a lot of time this year observing them this year and I feel sure that I could rule that out.

Despite us all diving out of the back of the hide, the raptor had gone and we were left to speculate over another 'unknown large raptor'. Conclusion : A Buzzard like in the wing, lighter on the undersides, harrier(esque) way too large for fem spawk - Raptor! I later received a report of a goshawk that had been spotted hunting there a few days earlier which some of the locals took as the unknown raptor.
Personally I'll never truly know but your comparison to harrier (the first I've read) would cetainly ring true if it was indeed was a goshawk that went over that day.

Fortunately I have had a couple of clear sightings, where I have been able to clearly ID them, but not all sightings offer that luxury.

ps. I managed to see the American Wigeon - a life tick for me.

Talking of goshawk confusions, I've had one, distantly and silhouetted, that was initially pegged as an osprey by the whole group of people I was with, most of them far more experienced than me, and a pretty convincing osprey it was too. And then it turned and gave itself up properly... goshawk. Amazing what distance, light, and posture in strong winds can do.

Interesting that you draw a comparison between goshawk and harrier Steve.

I assume Steve's comparison referred to the respective sizes rather than actual appearance; I'm sure he'd be the first to agree that he would never mistake a Marsh Harrier in flight for a Goshawk (or vice versa).

I've always thought they have a Honey Buzzard-ish look to them, rather than Common Buzzard. I remember I was at Swanton Novers a few years back when a Honey Buzzard came into view. A couple of guys from up north who said they were familiar with Goshawk swore blind that that's what it was, until it started displaying!

Yes, as Neil points out I was referring to size comparison when relating to Marsh Harrier. I would say that Gossies are 2-3 times the size and bulk of Sparrowhawks whilst roughly a third smaller than a harrier but some big females can look immense. I remember seeing a large female Goshawk tear through the scrape at Wat Tyler Country Park many years ago and it was an extremely big and powerful looking bird, almost certainly would sent any harriers packing.

Some large female Sprawks can start to approach small male Goshawk size but retain the typical Sparrowhawl appearance.

Goshawk is unfortunately a bird I seen far to few of.

Last edited:
Tend to agree with Steve.
Have had very little dealings with goshawk in the wild but once you see a few there's no real problem distinguishing them from sprawk.
Was lucky enough to see a fully grown male with a local handler at my local site,a magnificent bird and do much more imposing than a sparrowhawk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back