• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (1 Viewer)

Sean,

The Red-breasted Goose is still around. It was seen today. Apparently 2 Black Brants (not just 1) are also with us. I have not, however, seen the Bean Goose in the last few days and could not say which race it was.
There were at least 4 Great White Egrets about in Essex, including 2 near the Blackwater, last week. I only saw 1 of them but better birders have seen more. My money is on their breeding in the county before Spoonbills.

As you know, I do not keep close track of splits, so was not aware of the potential one for the egrets. I also tend to use outdated names -- Pewits, Dabchicks etc. as well as American Egret -- I name used in the old field guides. It's a habbit of the old.

Whereabouts were RB Goose & GW Egret?

Sean,

The Red-breasted Goose is still around. It was seen today. Apparently 2 Black Brants (not just 1) are also with us. I have not, however, seen the Bean Goose in the last few days and could not say which race it was.
There were at least 4 Great White Egrets about in Essex, including 2 near the Blackwater, last week. I only saw 1 of them but better birders have seen more. My money is on their breeding in the county before Spoonbills.

As you know, I do not keep close track of splits, so was not aware of the potential one for the egrets. I also tend to use outdated names -- Pewits, Dabchicks etc. as well as American Egret -- I name used in the old field guides. It's a habbit of the old.

Hi Dave

Interesting to hear the RB Goose is still about. Any idea where? Not surprised there is a 2nd Black Brant.

Would also be curious to know where the other 2 Great Egret were too, in case I make it down that way.

Interestingly Great (White) Egret winter in numbers in Spain & yet have not bred as far as I know.

I'd be happy for either Spoonbill or GW Egret to breed on the county.

The old names are the best sometimes.

Sean:)

Apparently 2 Black Brants (not just 1) are also with us.

On Tue 22 Nov there was a Black Brant with 745 Dark-bellied Brents in the field SW of The Strood at 1pm, and a 2nd bird (with a more extensive white flank 'flash') was with 1800-2000 Dark-bellied Brents at Old Hall Marshes TL966128 at 2pm (along with the Red-breasted Goose).

I have not, however, seen the Bean Goose in the last few days and could not say which race it was.

Tundra (presumably Anser serrirostris rossicus, if you split 'em, as I don't think A. s. serrirostris - the eastern Siberian race - has been recorded in the UK).

Cheers
Nick

Last edited:
Had to be very patient but eventually had not bad (but distant) views of the Fingringhoe Glossy Ibis.

Also Red-breasted Merganser, Goldeneye, Bullfinch, Marsh Harrier, Bar-Tailed Godwit, Dunlin, Grey Plover, Golden Plover, Shelduck, Brent, Gulls and probably more that I can't remember.

Haven't done such static birding in ages (stood still for an hour and a half staring out onto the saltmarsh), but glad to say it paid off for me.

Sean,

Great White Egret is still a very rare county bird, I missed the Fambridge/River Crouch bird and not aware of the 4 birds in the county, only the two previously mentioned, The Fambridge and Old Hall birds.

Also the term American Egret has never been used in the UK other than to refer to the extremely rare (in UK terms) American race of Great White Egret, also known more commonly as Great Egret. All European guides refer to the species as Great White Egret so when there was mention of American Egret earlier in the thread at Old Hall it was a little disconcerting, it could have caused a twitch or rumours of suppression, these things happen.

regards

Great Egret

American race of Great White Egret, also known more commonly as Great Egret. All European guides refer to the species as Great White Egret

Steve - I think I'm correct in saying that, since 2010, the term 'Great Egret' has replaced the usage of the vernacular 'Great White Egret' for Ardea Alba (was Egretta Alba) in the BOU British List. The 2nd Ed of the Collins Bird Guide uses the name 'Great Egret' (though here placed in the family Casmerodius). I think it makes sense to use a common English name for Eurasian and American races (until any split might occur). Anyway, certain not 'American Egret'.

Stewart

I think the use of American Egret was a genuine mistake, as the poster has a lot of experience with that (sub)species in the US and just isn't familiar with the current name changes regarding Great and Great White Egret.

I heard from Auchinbowie that a reliable observer saw 2 Great (White) Egret at Old Hall back in November suggesting possibly 3 birds.

Cheers

Sean

Oh! I hope nobody thought I was 'getting at' Auchinbowie (and I'm sure that wasn't Steve's intention). If people want to use the 'older' terms, then that's perfectly OK, but (as Steve pointed out), it can cause some confusion when used in a wider forum such as this. My intention in the above mailing was to raise a rather pendantic taxonomy and naming issue (which, I'm sure, is far less important than actually seeing the birds). Mind you taxonomy and naming isn't always pedantic, as use of some of 'older' terms can be misleading. For example, to chose an obvious case, if we call a Dunnock a Hedge Sparrow, it sounds as though it belongs to the sparrow family .

Stewart

I have already apologised for a careless use of language. The term American Egret was widely used in the past in both the USA and European bird books. The bird has even changed latin names. My old Petersen guide refers to "American Egret" and "Casmerodius albus". Even my new Snow and Perrins gives the range for Egretta alba as North and South America, Australasia........etc. as well as Eurasia. So it was an easy slip to make. As Sean mentioned, I am not a lister. Nor am I inclined to shoot the birds to obtain the DNA samples, necessary for modern identification.

I understood that Dunnock has long been replaced by Hedge Accentor and the Robin may soon be the Eurasian Red-breasted Chat. The Blackbird being a Turdus is of course a thrush. Why does this make me depressed? I guess that makes me an "Old fart".

OK - time to stop the terminological banter and return to news of birding in Essex. I'm beginning to regret raising the issue, especially when it makes people feel that have to apologise (which they shouldn't have to) or label themselves as 'old farts' (unless they like to!). By the way, I've had by bus pass for some years now and I doubt if Auchinbowie is much older than me - and this hasn't prevented my embracing terminological clarification in ornithology. (As a parting shot: 'Bohemian Waxwing' - what a lovely name to get your tongue around!)

Back to the birds - Stewart

Eastern bank of the lake at Hatfield forest, nailed on Marsh tit now until summer,just walk round and listen for calls.

PH

Thanks for that, I'll put that on my agenda for a visit. Managed to see a Coal Tit at Hanningfield last Saturday and had excellent views of Goldcrests in the hedge between the path and the field heading towards the hides. Didn't need the binoculars! Went back on Thursday 'in the big blow' and I didn't see the Goldcrests but there were 3 Goosander (distant) but a blacked neck grebe the slavonian grebe were diving close to the causeway. Pintail and Goldeneye were about too. I thought I saw about half a dozen barnacle geese, but got distracted looking for a raptor as all the lapwings flew up, set the scope up to go back to the geese and have a good look at them and they'd all gone. Some of the geese flew amongst the disturbance, so I guessed it could have been them.

I heard a Tawny Owl at dusk on the western edge of Thorndon Country Park (North), but lost the light before I could locate it. Anyone with any pointers to a long-eared owl, please PM.

Visited Rainham RSPB for a couple of hours last Tuesday morning and had great views of a peregrine hunting from the new hide. Bright and Breezy days there almost always result in a peregrine for me there, but the water rail I need for my life list remains elusive. Anyone seen any recently?

Sean,

There was a Red-breasted goose around in February resported from a few locations, but Is aw it at Blue House Farm (EWT). It was among a small number of whitefronted geese at the time. Is it likely to be the same bird having flown North for the summer and returned?

There are a number of 'feral' Red-breasted Geese in the county, Abberton Reservoir has a few. A colour rung bird was at Vange Wick/Bowers Marsh last winter.

The last credible, until the recent Mearsea/Old Hall bird, wild Essex Red-breasted Goose was the one on Wallasea Island in January 2010.

the water rail I need for my life list remains elusive. Anyone seen any recently?

Try the Bittern Watchpoint at 70 Acres Lake in the Lee Valley near Waltham Abbey - there's usually one or two about, occasionally crossing the channels between the sectors of reedbed right in front of the hide. And I gather there are at least two Bitterns around as well.

Try the Bittern Watchpoint at 70 Acres Lake in the Lee Valley near Waltham Abbey

David's advice is sound. I saw Water Rails there recently and would estimate the success rate there at about 75-80% at this time of year, providing you are prepared to watch for an hour or so. (They often appear every few minutes.) I know of nowhere else in Essex even half as reliable.

I am seeing Merlin regularly near the Blackwater at present. The missing "common" species is Redwing. Lots of Fieldfare, a few Mistle Thrush but no Redwing so far. Is this just coincidence or have others had similar experiences?

Failed to see the Rough-legged Buzzard on Foulness from Wallasea Island this evening in old and windy conditions however did have a total of probably 8 ringtail Hen Harriers, have no idea where the males could be.

Of these Hen four were on Foulness viewed from Wallasea whilst the other 4 were over the set aside fields near Grapnalls Farm, viewed from the white gate. These birds provided superb views at dusk.

I am seeing Merlin regularly near the Blackwater at present. The missing "common" species is Redwing. Lots of Fieldfare, a few Mistle Thrush but no Redwing so far. Is this just coincidence or have others had similar experiences?

Same for me - saw one in Chelmsford a while back but not since. Have been seeing/hearing lots of Song Thushes, quite a few Mistle Thrushes and a small number of Fieldfares (a couple are on the Baddow Meads quite regularly). In the past few years I'd have been seeing lots and lots of Redwings around Chelmsford before I saw a Fieldfare.

Had some Redwing at Old Hall today, but saw many more Fieldare there.

We saw the 1st winter Red-breasted Goose in with 2500 Brent and 1 Black Brant. The Red-breasted seemed a little unwell or satiated, sleeping for long periods & waddling rather precariously once eventually roused while Brent fed all around.

The Black Brant was probably the same bird seen at E Mersea. The only other bird of note there was a flyover GN Diver!!

We visited Abberton twice & managed the following highlights in the gloom:

10 Bewick's Swan
1 redhead Smew
1 ringtail Hen Harrier
2 Marsh Harrier
1 m Peregrine
2 Barn Owl
1 Water Rail calling

There was no sign of any SE Owl.

A brief stop at South Green, Fingerinhoe revealed the Great Grey Shrike, and a female Peregrine on Geedon, but no sign of the Glossy Ibis :).

Cheers

Sean :)

Try the Bittern Watchpoint at 70 Acres Lake in the Lee Valley near Waltham Abbey

David's advice is sound. I saw Water Rails there recently and would estimate the success rate there at about 75-80% at this time of year, providing you are prepared to watch for an hour or so. (They often appear every few minutes.) I know of nowhere else in Essex even half as reliable.

Thanks for the advice on seeing Water Rails. Will take a trip round the M25 to have a look.

I walk the East Tilbury Marshes by the landfill down to the Thames and can also confirm very few redwings about so far here. Seen one and heard a couple from the middle of the bushes by the dyke. Over 50 fieldfare (at least) along with blackbirds and the occasional thrush. I did see a site rarity (to me) in the form of a female Bullfinch, which then flew off alongside another finch that I thought was a male, but I only got a brief glimpse, and they were flying among a larger flock of chaffinches.

"Had some Redwing at Old Hall today, but saw many more Fieldare there.... We saw 2500 Brent."

Sean, I was very interested in your count of 2500 Brent on Sunday. Until this week-end we had had counts of up to 1500. Yesterday there were about 2000. I know there are other smaller flocks on the estuary but your count is the highest for the site for some time. Excellent.

The R-b Goose appeared to be feeding normally. Some White-fronted are about but no Bean recently. The Great White Egrets also appear to have moved on, at least for now.

I did not notice any Redwing during yesterday's count. There were over 30 Fieldfare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back