• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID - Central Spain (1 Viewer)

valhondo

Hi.

I'd like your comments about these pictures. I have some very bad pictures where I can see the head pattern of pernis apivorus, but I always saw them not as dark as this one.

Thank you.
Valhondo

Attachments

• abejero1.jpg
    abejero1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 249
  • abejero2.jpg
    abejero2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 211
Thanks.

That was the other option we thought. But, those two pictures and this one where taken in the same minute. No other raptors flying; only two birds flying together and "playing" or "fighting". We thought they were the same bird.

I usually think that long and little head (like a pigeon) is a pernis head. If it was, they were a booted and a pernis together. If you think this is a booted too, I have to study a little bit more.

Attachments

• abejero3.jpg
    abejero3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 156
Thanks.

That was the other option we thought. But, those two pictures and this one where taken in the same minute. No other raptors flying; only two birds flying together and "playing" or "fighting". We thought they were the same bird.

I usually think that long and little head (like a pigeon) is a pernis head. If it was, they were a booted and a pernis together. If you think this is a booted too, I have to study a little bit more.

I didn't think the first photos were clear-cut Booted, look at underwing pattern and exposed tarsus. My only concern was lack of any clear barring to the tail, but interested to know why folk would dismiss Juv. Bonelli's?

Peter

I didn't think the first photos were clear-cut Booted, look at underwing pattern and exposed tarsus. My only concern was lack of any clear barring to the tail, but interested to know why folk would dismiss Juv. Bonelli's?
Peter

Would you not expect to be able to see the faint barring on the tail of juv Bonelli's?
The other thing is the nicely translucent inner primaries - which Forsmann mentions.

Latest picture also Booted Eagle, IMHO. First picture typical booted, rather Black Kite like at times and never looking like a large Eagle in this pose. Second picture more like Bonelli's but as stated this is the same bird as pic 1. I have nearly been caught out by Booted Eagle hanging in the wind as in second pic. Soon as they bank off and start to glide they look much smaller and slighter. Bonelli's is a lagre bird often looking more like large honey Buzzard in shape when adult than Booted Eagle. Plumage wise juv Bonelli's and dark Phase (morph!!) Booted are quiet similar but Bonelli's more contrasting and paler below.

I often find 'frozen' photographic images a damn sight harder to ID than the birds themselves! I can see why both dark morph Booted and juv Bonelli's have been suggested. However, close inspection of the second photo appears to show a white 'landing light' at the base of the wing; unless this is an illusion, it would confirm that it's a Booted,

Those white translucent inner primaries, forming a distinct zone, are a good feature on dark morph Booted. Booted also is quite a small eagle.

interested to know why folk would dismiss Juv. Bonelli's?

In addition to the features already mentioned:
-juv. Bonelli's Eagle has finer and more distinct bars on the remiges
-the dark band across the wing is much narrower on a juv. Bonelli's Eagle
-the body is paler on a juv. Bonelli's Eagle
-strictly speaking the bird is older than juvenile (at least first summer), as it is moulting (the third outermost primary is missing on both wings)

Here's a juv. Bonelli's Eagle for comparison:
http://www.tarsiger.com/gallery/index.php?pic_id=Jniemi1143754605&lang=fin

Hi all,

No doubt about it: it's a (dark) Booted Eagle. Square-cut middle-size tail, fairly narrow wing like a Black Kite, pale inner primaries, dark with paler tail... typical Booted.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back