• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Argentina Part II, Southern Part (1 Viewer)

steenl

Registered Member
Hello again,

Here some questions about Argentina birds.

1) Oystercatchers. First two are American Oystercatchers. Last one (Right bird) a Magellanic? Or also a American one. Bird is just sitting in a other position, that's why the curl in the wing is not to see. Photo taken in Puerto Natales (Exactly Chili)
2) Tit-spinetails. In a group of Plain-mantled Tit-spinetail I took photo of two different birds. Juvenile Plain-mantled Tit-Spinetail. Photo taken in Lake district Argentina.
3) Swallow. I only saw Chilean Swallows. But some swallows don't have the white rump. Juvenile Chilean Swallows? Or a other swallow. (Blue-and-white?). Photo taken in Torres del Paine (chili)
4) Ground-Tyrant. Again ;) Cinerous? Or Spot-billed. Think the first one. Photo taken in Bariloche at 2.400 meter.

Thanks again.
Over one week part III :t:

Greeting,
Lennaert Steen from the Netherlands.

Attachments

• Oystercatcher 2.jpg
    Oystercatcher 2.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Tit-spinetail 3.jpg
    Tit-spinetail 3.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Tit-spinetail 4.jpg
    Tit-spinetail 4.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Swallow 2.jpg
    Swallow 2.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Ground-Tyrant 2.jpg
    Ground-Tyrant 2.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 137
And number 6) No Idea, Sierrafinch?? Photo taken in Bariloche at 2.400 meter.

Attachments

• Finch 2.jpg
    Finch 2.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 121
Are you sure you got the geography right w the last? it looks like a white-winged diuca-finch to my eyes, and a quick look did not find any obvious alternatives.

In your first post:
There should not be any Am Oystercatchers in PN. Try to zoom in on your own image (the original) and look for exact color of the eye-ring, where Magellanic should have a narrow red surrounded by yellow.
The tail in the next two images remind me of a canastero, which are possible depend a little on exact location I guess?
I saw both Chilean and B&W swallows in TdP. Chilean juvies should have pale rump according to the Jaramillo book, so your bird is not a chilean; I am a little uncertain of what it is because I expected with the angle to see the strong contrast between upperside and underside in the head if it was a B&W.
The obscure streaking on underside of your ground tyrant should point towards Spot-billed, I think.

Niels

Correction: I did not believe the Am oystercatcher came to southernmost Chile at all, but Ebird has a few observations from near Punta Delgada. I still think Magellanic may be more likely where you were.

Niels

Hi Niels,

Are you sure you got the geography right w the last? it looks like a white-winged diuca-finch to my eyes

Yes, location is right. Photo is taken yesterday at Cerro Cathedral near Bariloche. I had also no idea. White-winged Diuca-finch doesn't occur here. Or a lost bird?

Ok, I zoom in. But the Oystercatchers have a curl in the wing. So I thought American.

I didn't see adult B&W Swallows. So maybe a juvenile B&W Swallow. I look it up.

Do you know which Canastero?

Tx!!

I don't have a book specific for Argentina (I have the Chile book and a couple of books overall for SA) so I don't know which canasteros are likely where you were. But take a look at this one ...

Niels

Hi Niels,

I have a book of Argentina. But yesterday my luggage was lost at a national flight. So I take a look later on.
Thanks for your comments.

Any chance the last image is a young male Melanodera xanthogramma? White edges to the remiges suggest the subsp. barrosi, but I am not sure of the distribution other than Chile.

Brian S

Brain,

Any chance the last image is a young male Melanodera xanthogramma?

THANKS. Think you are right. Had Yellow-bridled Finch on the same spot.
See picture.
Mystery solved. Now the Canastero has to be solved. ;)

Attachments

• Yellow bridled Finch 3.jpg
    Yellow bridled Finch 3.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 89
Canasteros are really tricky birds. I don't have any book of Argentina to check, but I think your bird looks closer to a Lesser Canastero than anything else. The combination of reddish on the wings, narrow pale eyebrow and length and shape of the bill points to that one. Check the distribution map in your books to confirm it. Other possibility is short-billed Canastero (but to me, your bird has a bill a bit too long for that one). If none of those is in range, let me know. There are a couple of other possibilities but they are much rarer species.

Oke, It's a canastero. Then there are two possibilities. Sharp-billed/Lesser or Cordilleran Canastero. I think it is the first one.
Short-billed Canastero is not possible. Does not occur that south.

#1 Magellanic for me.
#2 Looks like Cordilleran Canastero
#3 Looks like Sharp-billed Canastero
#4 Imm Blue-and-White for me. Chilean juv has also the white rump.
#5 Spot-billed Ground-Tyrant for me
#6 ??

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back