• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

Thurrock Thameside Nature Park, a Kingfisher on the creek, a Heron on a pylon and the Kestrels in what appears to be their regular spot on the telephone line over the creek. Great!

Bumper Kingfisher day!
EWT Langdon Lake NR - Two Kingfisher, not seen two KF on this lake for over 2 years, one stayed in the cove on the island the other was on the edges of the island, very visable which was good for us. Buzzard overheard. Great!
Thurrock Thameside Nature Park, a Kingfisher on the creek, I saw it fly from the sluice, around the creek and then over to the fishing lakes. There was another on the match lake and on the main lake.
Other highlights, Wheatear sat above the creek with a kestrel overhead. Stonechats, Meadow Pipets, Linnet, Greenfinch, Curlew. Great!

EWT Langdon Lake NR - Kingfisher this evening.
Thurrock Thameside Nature Park, a Kingfisher or two on the creek. They call from everywhere on all the fishing lakes. The Kestrels were over the creek. Great!

EWT Langdon Lake NR, The Kingfisher is really loud and vocal, one minute it was calling near the sluice end I was stood by, then I could hear it at the other end. Then it did some crazy flying and diving, where it flew backwards and forwards each time diving in the lake at the same spot. Crazy!
Thurrock Thameside NP, I could hear two Kingfisher chasing on the match lake, it was the repetitive 'te, te, te, te, te' call, I could hear they were on my side of the lake, I was on the path. I could judge by the calls one had been chased off, so I looked up and one flew over my head, over the fence from the match lake to the main lake. Great

Last edited:
EWT Langdon Lake NR, the Kingfisher was in the island cover and flew up and over the island.
Thurrock Thameside NP, one Kingfisher on the creek in a new regular spot before the sluice by some reeds, later another one flew along, I think they come back from the Thames and up the creek. There were others calling from the fishing lakes. Great!

I thought the EWT Langdon Lake NR Kingfisher has moved on but I just checked EBWS and it was seen Saturday and there might have been two.
Down at Thurrock Thameside NP as I went for my run I saw the Kestrel hovering above the fields. The Kingfisher was on the creek, as was a L.Egret. The nights are drawing in. It will soon be dark. Boo!

EWT Langdon Lake NR. It looked like a young Cormorant. The Kingfisher flew across the lake, blink and we would have missed it, the light was poor, it flew into the sluice and we lost sight of it.
Down at Thurrock Thameside NP, the Kingfisher was on the creek, it disappeared into the reeds, I lost it in the fading light. A Heron and L.Egret flew over. It was cold and got dark quick. It will soon be dark. Boo!

Thurrock Thameside NP, the Kingfisher was on the creek past the sluice. It stopped on a perch in the creek. L.Egrets, Heron, yesterday we could see and hear the Curlew, Oyster Catchers, Avocets on the river bank

Stanford Warren Reeds, the Kingfisher went down the creek towards Stanford. Then a Sparrowhawk went over. Later just as it was getting dark it flew over again only a few feet off the ground. Great!

EWT Langdon Lake NR
First one Kingfisher calling loudly as it flew around the island. Then I saw two Kingfisher flying across the lake, they might have been chasing each other. Then I disturbed one who had perched next to me. As it flew across the water it looked like it was going to land or dive in the water. Overhead there were two Buzzards, at one point it looked like they passed food to each other, they flew close by. A few Jays about as well. Great!

EWT Langdon Lake NR - Kingfisher and GWP on the path. Thurrock Thameside NR - Kestrel on the wire before and after my run, it then flew down and caught something. Great!

Stanford Warren / Thurrock Thameside NR - Kingfisher, Heron and L.Egret on the creek. I reckon there was a Marsh Harrier, low over the reeds. There were a couple Kestrels and a couple hares. Great!

EWT Stanford Warren NR - I'd not seen much of the Kingfisher on the creek for the last couple weeks as the weather had changed but this week it was on the same stretch a couple times. With the clocks changing this could be my last evening sightings this week. I used to rely on the fishing lakes for the Kingfisher but in the past few months the creek has been very active with up to three Kingfisher chasing each other.
At EWT Langdon Lake NR, we think the Kingfisher have gone elsewhere, no sightings this week. Good there were two last week. Great!

EWT Langdon Lake NR - Despite some reports on EBWS the Kingfisher has been a bit elusive, today finally got to see it fly low across the lake. Also a pair of Jays and a Heron. Great!

EWT Langdon Lake NR - Blink and we would have missed the Kingfisher, then new to use but reported before on EBWS; Little Grebes. Great!

On our way to Langdon Lake NR today there was a Little Egret in one of the fields. Kinda funny as we saw one in the exact same spot last year.
Then on Langdon Hills we found a Buzzard in a tree. Then a Kestrel on the way back.
Great!

I heard my first Essex Kingfisher for 2017 down Stanford Warren the other week.
A shocker today, my friend and I were out for a walk in the Dunton, Laindon area, when about twenty birds landed on a lone berry tree. I said to my friend what are they, he said Starlings (lol). But they were making a different call. So I took a closer look and bingo - Waxwings! They were closely followed by a few Blackbirds and Thrush. Worse thing was they had to fly off when disturbed by noise and then fly back. They were on nearby trees eating the young buds. The couples would feed each other and I swear their crests stand up as they do. Great!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back