• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

I checked out Stanford Warren and Warren fishery this evening.
Two Jays, a few Cormorants flying overhead, a Little Egret in the same place as last year and a Kingfisher.
All the same birds calling in the reeds as last year, that I told myself I must learn what they are.
Oh well, there's always this year.
A Kingfisher has been seen on the lake at EWT Langdon Lake NR, but we couldn't find it.
We are enjoying the Kestrels and Buzzards on the A127 before the M25. Great!

Finally it's getting lighter in the evenings! I have been out but not much to report until this evening.
Thameside, Stanford Warren NR. It was dead quiet for over an hour, everywhere nothing.
A new Kingfisher nesting burrow hole next to the previous two years holes by the Warren match lake, that didn't/won't get used as they get disturbed by the fishermen.
Then nothing again.
Until finally a Kingfisher on the creek next to the reeds by the main fishing lake.
Then that was eclipsed by a Barn Owl, hunting from side to side along the bushes and trees next to the creek, just before the sluice.
It was stunning! Effortless, slow, flying.
it followed the creek for a short distance, flying side to side, before crossing the reeds and then the land next to the fence of the main fishing lake. Then it disappeared. Great!

Thameside, Stanford Warren NR, great visit today;
Skylarks, Reed Bunting, Little Egret and a Heron. Then a very close Marsh Harrier which disappeared really quick.
I then found two Kingfisher making the short tutting call to each other, I assume they are a pair, then one was flying around, calling.
Then just as it was getting dark, a Barn Owl again.
Great!

Thameside, Stanford Warren NR, great visit again today;
A pair of Kingfisher on the main fishing lake.
Then a pair on the creek with another one further along. (My friend had seen four earlier today)
Kingfisher calls all over the site.
Then just before 6.00, same time, place and day as the past two weeks, the Barn Owl appeared flying over the land next to the creek, then it was gone. Great!
My friend saw the two Short-eared Owls which are also reported on EBWS.

Last edited:
Thameside, Stanford Warren NR this evening;
A couple Kingfisher on the creek and they were calling all along the creek and all over the fishing lakes. Great!

My first Hare this year, a Kingfisher on the creek and the Skylarks behind the visitor centre. Great!

A funny thing happened today, the GWP feed on the ground by the entrance.
They take cover by hiding up the telephone polls that cross the land.
Well three did it today, all at the same time, they flew up the telephone polls.
The Skylarks were calling all over the grassland.
I actually saw a Cetti's Warbler. I saw a bird fly low along the creek amongst the reeds and thought warbler. Then it gave a call.
Loads of waders on the Thames river bed.
Then a Kingfisher calling along the creek and also on the fishing lakes.
Great!

Stanford Warren NR this evening; I heard a new bird call over my head for this year; looked up and it was Swallows, a small group.
The Barn Owl has been seen in the early morning now.
On the Kingfisher front, I heard one at the Bas Vegas Aquatels fishing lake, this was confirmed on BTO with a sighting at the garden centre lakes across the road. Great!

Ingrebourne NR, yesterday, a Kingfisher on almost the same bend as where I usually saw the Kingfisher this time last year. But this years followed the bends of the river, whereas last years would cut the corners.
Stanford Warren NR this evening, first two Little Egrets on the creek and then a Kingfisher. The Skylarks were calling on the field to the visitor centre and a small group of Starlings were gathering or flying across the reserve. Several Cetti's Warbler calling all over the reserve. Great!

Stanford Warren NR this evening, my first Cuckoo of the year, behind the fishing lakes.
The Kingfisher was calling on the main fishing lake and flying around the islands.
Lot's of Warblers calling, then a Cuckoo was calling from the other Wharf fishing lakes. Great!

Stanford Warren NR - I like it when I time it right and see some crazy Kingfisher flying. A Kingfisher flew out of the fishing lakes onto the creek and then headed off to the NR entrance before it flew back. Meanwhile another had flown out of the fishing lakes to the creek. They then both flew back to the fishing lakes. There was then a third one on the creek. This might have been the one they were chasing, that I missed. I saw my first chicks belonging to Greylag Geese and then Coots. There are a few nesting GCGs on the fishing lakes. I recognised the call of a Warbler and just checked and it's a Reed Warbler. The Cetti's are calling really loud and dotted around. The Cuckoo was calling again and some dog walkers saw it on the telephone wire where I also saw it. Great!

Stanford Warren NR - I saw a Reed Warbler this evening. There are two pairs of Greylag Geese with chicks. Swallows over the NR. Cuckoo calling again. The Kingfisher was on the creek and then the fishing lakes. Great!

I was waiting for a EBWS report to confirm but last Thursday there were hundreds of Sand/House Martins on the Golden Gates lake, Mucking. EBWS says Sand Martins but not the high number I saw. Another birder told me so I took a look. Very impressive. it was great!

Stanford Warren NR, a Cuckoo only 10 metres from me in a tree over looking the reeds. Then a Buzzard getting mobbed by Crows as it tried to get some height. Several Whitethroats.
On the fishery, the Kingfisher are busy feeding their young, flying back and forth. Great!

Stanford Warren NR yesterday, Kingfishers flying around fishery. A water vole in the creek. Today my first Swifts at the Warren, screaming overhead. Cetti's, Reed and Sedge Warbler. I found a Cuckoo calling in a tree above me. Great!

Stanford Warren NR, Kingfisher this evening on the fishery. Starlings starting to gather in numbers over the visitor centre. Great!

Chafford Gorge this evening, a Kingfisher was calling, very vocal and flying over the gorge. I could see it diving for fish from a tree. Great!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back