• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orchids? 3 additional photos (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
They were not blooming there last year at this time but are blooming this year. I think they are Orchids but not really sure. Other than the flowers, no leaves or greenery whatsoever. Any help will be appreciated. Taken outside my office with my phone.

Attachments

• IMAG0105.jpg
    IMAG0105.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMAG0106.jpg
    IMAG0106.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 118
They don't look like orchids to me KC, but my experience is UK and Continental Europe. I would normally expect a rosette of stiff green leaves around the stem.

Lee

Yeah, I believe Phil is on the right track Lee.

What surprises me was that they were not blooming or even there last year at this time and now all of a sudden this week there are almost 2 dozen of these beauties.

The thing is,orchids can do this sudden appearance act too, so its not surprising you wondered about them.

Lee

I'll try to take one in the morning. It's on someone else's property but I'll see what I can do.

Further to what I suggested yesterday.
Some of the gardening blogs I read from gardeners in the US have been featuring bulbs from the amaryllis family, in particular Lycoris. They tend to flower this time of year, but can be erratic in flowering-my Amaryllis belladonna clump has three flowers after our very warm dry summer-last year I had dozens.
I have checked a few sites and it seems that the red Lycoris radiata is commonly grown in the southern States, so its my best guess at the moment unless better images are available.

Okay, here are a few more images of this unknown flower.

Attachments

• Flower1.jpg
    Flower1.jpg
    957.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Flower2.jpg
    Flower2.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Flower3.jpg
    Flower3.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 93
Well I finally had some time to do some research on this Lily and what a surprise. I found out that it's bulb is highly poisonous. Surprising that they didn't show up last year but are doing quite well this year. Wonder why. I'm even seeing them along roads that I travel frequently and have never seen them there before. Why all of a sudden? So many questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back