Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Okavango mammals

Old Sunday 9th August 2015, 18:42   #1
Jon Turner

Okavango mammals

We're off to the Okavango late next month, so I thought I ought to get a field guide to the local mammals we should see. A quick search shows lots of possibilities.
Anything you would recommend?
Old Sunday 9th August 2015, 20:20   #2
Jim M.
Choose Civility

You do not say much about what you're looking for, but I found the Stuart's “Pocket Guide [to] Mammals of Southern Africa” to be packed with information and told me almost everything I needed to know about the mammals. (The other stuff I found on the Internet). It only weighs a few ounces, so is great for traveling and more convenient than a digital guide.

If you want a reference for home use etc., there are recent updated editions of the Stuart's Field Guide to Mammals of Southern Africa, and Kingdon's Field Guide to African Mammals.

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 9th August 2015, 20:43   #3
Jon Turner

Thank you Jim. Most of the rest of the group haven't been to this part of Africa (let's say south of the Sahara!) so for most it will be looking for and at everything!
I've been to East Africa but not further south than Dar-es-Salaam. The bigger animals are relatively easy, but there are all sorts of small jobs which will be trickier and some pre-research with a book would be useful.
I'll do the search again, looking for the books you have suggested.

Thanks again.
Old Monday 10th August 2015, 10:13   #4
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M. View Post
You do not say much about what you're looking for, but I found the Stuart's “Pocket Guide [to] Mammals of Southern Africa” to be packed with information and told me almost everything I needed to know about the mammals.

If you want a reference for home use etc., there are recent updated editions of the Stuart's Field Guide to Mammals of Southern Africa, and Kingdon's Field Guide to African Mammals.

I would agree guides by Chris and Tilde Stuart cover pretty much everything. I would personally recommend their Field Guide to Mammals of Southern Africa - it covers all the small mice, bats, etc, as well as larger animals. This must be the same book as Jim recommends as a home reference, but it is not a big book at all (certainly less in size than, for example, the standard bird guide books to the region or the Collins European guide) and I would say ideal for field use.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 10th August 2015, 10:45   #5
Jon Turner

Thanks Jos, I'm sitting at home in the rain, so will pursue this after coffee!
Old Monday 10th August 2015, 11:35   #6
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

One small point - it is a photographic guide, rather than illustration, which may not be to everyone's style, but the images are good and I don't remember ever struggling with identifications with this book.

Old Monday 10th August 2015, 13:16   #7
Jon Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
One small point - it is a photographic guide, rather than illustration, which may not be to everyone's style, but the images are good and I don't remember ever struggling with identifications with this book.
Noted, thanks Jos.
Old Monday 10th August 2015, 13:57   #8
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
I would agree guides by Chris and Tilde Stuart cover pretty much everything. I would personally recommend their Field Guide to Mammals of Southern Africa - it covers all the small mice, bats, etc, as well as larger animals. This must be the same book as Jim recommends as a home reference, but it is not a big book at all (certainly less in size than, for example, the standard bird guide books to the region or the Collins European guide) and I would say ideal for field use.
I was looking at this revised, expanded edition which Amazon lists as coming out in 2014:

http://www.amazon.com/Stuarts-Field-...outhern+africa

It's 456 pp and 2 lbs if Amazon is correct. I agree it is not too heavy for the field, but it is not exactly light either. However, I find birders (including myself) tend to have lower tolerance for lugging around substantial mammal guides since they will already be lugging around a bird guide.

In any event, I suspect you are thinking of something like this 2011 edition which is listed at 1.4 pounds and 150 pages less:

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Ma...outhern+africa

Regards,
Jim

Old Monday 10th August 2015, 14:01   #9
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2018

I recently took the Kindle version of the Stuart and Kingdon field guides to southern Africa with me. That's a good lightweight solution if you have a Kindle or tablet (and it sort of works on a smartphone too, though not as well).

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 10th August 2015, 14:07   #10
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Whitehouse View Post
I recently took the Kindle version of the Stuart and Kingdon field guides to southern Africa with me. That's a good lightweight solution if you have a Kindle or tablet (and it sort of works on a smartphone too, though not as well).
Was just going to edit my post to refer to that, but you beat me to it! Though I've never been comfortable with having only an electronic field guide as a primary reference, I would certainly consider them as a back up or reference for traveling purposes.

Old Monday 10th August 2015, 17:33   #11
Jon Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Whitehouse View Post
Do you know if there is an android version which will work on my Acer? Although my wife has a Kindle.... which we could easily take!

Thanks
Old Monday 10th August 2015, 17:35   #12
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Turner View Post
Do you know if there is an android version which will work on my Acer?

Thanks
You can get the Kindle app for Android and then you should be able to use it fairly easily on any android device. You should also be able to download it onto your device so that you don't need a data connection to read it.

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 15th August 2015, 20:40   #13
andyadcock

If you've ever wonder 'why do they do that' when you're watching animals, I can highly recommend this title.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Safari-Com...XZBFVYPGVCKERV

Andy
Old Saturday 15th August 2015, 21:03   #14
Jon Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
If you've ever wonder 'why do they do that' when you're watching animals, I can highly recommend this title.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Safari-Com...XZBFVYPGVCKERV

Andy
Thank you Andy - I'll look into it.
Old Sunday 16th August 2015, 12:53   #15
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M. View Post
In any event, I suspect you are thinking of something like this 2011 edition which is listed at 1.4 pounds and 150 pages less:

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Ma...outhern+africa
Yep, this is the one I was referring to - I didn't realize there was a more recent, expanded version. If carrying in the field, I would go for the non-expanded version :)

Old Sunday 16th August 2015, 13:30   #16
andyadcock

'If you want a reference for home use etc., there are recent updated editions of the Stuart's Field Guide to Mammals of Southern Africa, and Kingdon's Field Guide to African Mammals.'

Jim and Jos,
what are the latest illustrations by Kingdon like, I found his quirky take on the posture of some animals rendered the illustrations useless for ID.

Cheetah on the cover is an example of what I mean though that renders no ID issues however his Mongoose illustrations proved useless to ID any but the most obvious of them!

Kingdon in my opinion, should concentrate on emphasising key ID points in easy to study poses instead of straying over to the artistic side.

Am I being harsh?

Cheers, Andy
Old Sunday 16th August 2015, 13:46   #17
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Jim and Jos,
what are the latest illustrations by Kingdon like, I found his quirky take on the posture of some animals rendered the illustrations useless for ID.
I have never used Kingdon.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: