• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird books (1 Viewer)

Nicola Main

I'd like recommendations for any bird guide concerning British birds or British and European birds. Illustrations or photos doesn't matter. Can be I.D guide or personal memoir or anything really. Old or new not fussed. I have a lot already but would love a new book to peruse and learn new things. Thanks in advance.

The Collins Bird Guide (Svensson et al) is generally reckoned to be the best field guide in the world. If you prefer a photo guide, the Britain's Birds (Hume et al, Wild Guides) is the best.

There are many excellent books on birds and history, poetry, music etc - let me know your tastes and I'll make some recommendations. If you are more scientifically minded there are lots of individual species monographs, from the heavyweight Poyser series downwards.

Birds Britannica by Mark Cocker is a particular favourite, covering bits of folklore etc. For brilliant writing, try The Peregrine by JA Baker.

There are all sorts of site guides telling you the best places to go birding, including a brilliant one on the Scottish Highlands, though modesty prevents me from telling you the author's name <big grin>.

There are plenty of avifaunas, detailing the distribution of birds in a given area.

I've been reviewing bird books for over 30 years and believe me, there is probably a book on every birding topic imaginable - there are thousands of available titles. If you are interested in anything in particular, be it individual species, families of birds, places to go, birds relating to something else and so on, let me know any particular areas you want to read up about and I can make further recommendations.

Hope that helps,

Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back