• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Israel July (1 Viewer)

AUYB

Hi everyone,

I'll likely have 4 or 5 days free in Israel during late July - am trying to decide what to do with myself. Having never visited Europe or the Middle East, I would really appreciate suggestions for the best one or two sites to see Middle Eastern specialties, (eg: not sure if Sinnai Rosefinch is possible in summer, but other potential targets include the North African and Arabian wheatears, larks, bustards, sandgrouse, buntings, sparrows, warblers, etc). The consistent hits I get seem to be Elliat, Nizzana and Hula Valley, though I'm having difficulting sifting through all the irrelevant information on spring migrants to pick out target birds.

Further, why do Helm and Princeton always publish two versions of the same field guide... Anyone have a preference for either publication?

Cheers!
Josh

Josh

July is not the prime time for a birding visit to Israel, the south will be mad hot and breeding birds will be keeping low. Extremely early morning birding and late afternoons/evenings would be the order of the day.

In July Sooty Falcons should be in residence in the south whilst some Arava (Eilat) areas may have a few breeding species and over summering waders however it is likely to be extremely hard work.

The north should be a better bet with the Hula Valley likely to yield breeding herons (Grey, Purple, Squacco Herons and Little Bitterns) perhaps also Glossy Ibis and species such as Clamarous Reed and Great Warblerss, Eurasian Reed Warblers, Moustached Warblers whilst Mount Herman may produce passerines but again this will be the low season.

Check out the Israel Birding Portal which is now amongst the go to websites for the countries birding information www.birds.org.il/en/index.aspx and the Israel birding Face book pages (you'll have to google search israel birding on facebook to locate it). Again another good resource.

Nizanna is in the Negev Desert and will likely to be bonkers hot but may result in the sandgrouse at the sewage ponds in the morning, which may also have a few other species present at this time of year.

If you only have a few days would suggest the north (Hula), Mt. Herman and perhaps a visit to Gamla for the vultures as this is likely to provide you the best birding for this time of year.

As I understand it there is only one fieldguide to the middle east, was updated a couple of years ago as a helm guide and comes in soft and hard back. There is also a App for smart phones.

Thanks Steve - only just saw your reply! I'm used to working hard for birds, so have planned half a week in the north, where apparently the drinking pools will have most of the high-altitude breeders visiting during the morning, and some times in desert areas in the south, where almost all the specialties I wanted can be located with a bit of work and some early mornings with lots of water. Have been sent sites for breeding Sooty Falcon and Sinai Rosefinch too, which will help a lot!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back