• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dealing with eyes watering... (1 Viewer)

J@se

Hi good morning everyone,

Like many I love nothing more than staring out to the horizon, however in what are usually the best conditions I encounter constant eye watering from the wind (occasionally tears of joy!).

Has anybody come up with successful counter measures? Cycling\motor cycling goggles? Some kind of home made visor or shield? Or perhaps sitting in a fishing style bivvy. Unless of course you're lucky enough to be in a brick shelter!

Cheers

Hi J@se. I have the same problem. Opticrom Hayfever Eyedrops help reduce this irritation. Not 100%, but they certainly help. Available off-the-shelf without prescription. I keep mine in the fridge, which makes them even more refreshing in cooling yer peepers during the hayfever season.

Regards,

Neil

I was wondering about some kind of bespoke tube to fit on your head - get rid of side wind and due to the surface turbulance effects (whatever they are called) reduce windspeed next to an object.

If it's a real problem and you don't mind how you look too much (probably not a massive problem as starting point is a grown adult staring at the sea in the first place?) ...

Then I thought, what about a parka with one of those big hoods anyway - bit like ET or something.

Last edited:
Well searched, thanks! 6kg is an insane weight to carry though!!

I didn't look that far into it. This is probably designed to hunt from and if so that'd be a small addition in weight. But I see your thoughts. There are other variations on this idea out there, some of which are not much more than camoflague netting, etc.

What would be an acceptable weight to carry?

I tried an open tent /bivvy once. It was ok looking out to sea from, but I gave up..
1.The more extreme sea watching conditions, are not compatible with sitting in a tent!
2.extra baggage to carry around
3. If something interesting passes over your head, or behind you, well let's just say it could be interesting!
4. Best sea watching conditions are often with wind blowing towards shore, and therefore into the "tent"

I think a better bet would be something like a parka hood, or snood, and tired eye drops.

I tried an open tent /bivvy once. It was ok looking out to sea from, but I gave up..
1.The more extreme sea watching conditions, are not compatible with sitting in a tent!
2.extra baggage to carry around
3. If something interesting passes over your head, or behind you, well let's just say it could be interesting!
4. Best sea watching conditions are often with wind blowing towards shore, and therefore into the "tent"

I think a better bet would be something like a parka hood, or snood, and tired eye drops.

You make a good point! There's always a trade-off isn't there?

You make a good point! There's always a trade-off isn't there?

well, for once in my life, I do have first hand experience.. it started ok, but in the end wasn't pretty. Mark 2 wasn't any better either!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201018_165503_com.google.android.apps.photos_copy_432x444.jpg
    Screenshot_20201018_165503_com.google.android.apps.photos_copy_432x444.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 103

Like many I love nothing more than staring out to the horizon, however in what are usually the best conditions I encounter constant eye watering from the wind (occasionally tears of joy!).

Has anybody come up with successful counter measures? Cycling\motor cycling goggles? Some kind of home made visor or shield? Or perhaps sitting in a fishing style bivvy. Unless of course you're lucky enough to be in a brick shelter!

Cheers

Cheers
I use the Swarovski winged eye ups on my EL bins which I find are great for looking into the wind,
also when you have the sun on the side.
Having just bought a BTX eyepiece I’m going to get a pair for them.

Agree that the winged eye cups from Swarovski are very good - I have been using them for 5 + years now, and are great for wind and sunlight.

My main problem with watering eyes though, comes when I use a scope with an angled eye piece. Looking down, my tears do not shed easily and hence effect my view. Also if I don't watch out, my tears drip into the eyepiece - but I suppose no worse then the effects of rain. I used to use a telescope with a straight eye piece many years ago, and think it was less of a problem, but then the scope would have has a higher centre of gravity, so no so good for stability during a seawatch. Does anyone agree that angles telescopes are more of a problem when you have watering eyes?

My wife has one of the hides for photography. It pegs down, but easily collapses or turns over if you are not providing a counter balance by sitting in it. I have never thought about using it for sea watching - I can imagine that it would be a fight to get it set up in a strong wind and then if you stepped out, it could well be bowled over - could be entertaining for the other seawatchers! The hide comes in a bag with two shoulder straps, so although it is heavy, you can carry it like a rucksack.

Cheers
Check out 'Blepharitis'. I was recently diagnosed by my optician. The eyes water excessively to compensate for the lack of lubricating oils. I have used a well known 'lubricating mist' that I spray onto my closed eyes with some noticeable improvement.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back