• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Take A Little Time! (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

Hi Folks,

The excellent thread ‘Pondlife’ by Tony (Mahsleb) made me think of things I have missed out on this summer due to the wet and cool if not cold at times weather.

Firstly my fish pond. I have spent very little time sat on the bench during the day or evening relaxing by the pond and watching the fish and the various creatures that are usually on or around the pond! I have for the most part just fed the fish and checked they are doing ok as they are ageing now, and on better days pond maintenance but not much time to sit and relax and enjoy the tranquil setting! The flowers on the lillies have been abundant this year, a warm April seemed to ignite their growth and the flowers have been superb and plentiful! I have had to remove a lot of the lily pads though as they had almost cut out all the daylight of the pond! Lack of Dragon and Damselfly has been very noticeable.

The Hedgehogs we have visit we have seldom seen these last few weeks, as with all the rain they have had an abundance of snail’s and slug’s! They leave their calling card though so we know they are still around! This last week or so of dry weather has been different, they have come for their food supplement at dusk giving us a chance to see them. Lovely creatures!

The birds are eating anything and everything, I have bought more seed through Spring and Summer than I did the whole of the wintertime. I am sure the mail order delivery man thinks I have a stall selling it on somewhere. There are apple windfalls on the lawn, I cannot decide if they are late ‘June drop’ or early ‘Autumn’ windfalls. Whatever, the Blackbirds are enjoying them! They are also starting on the Rowan berries, the colour of the berries look like bright red decorations on a Christmas tree when the sun shines on them! I hope the blackbirds leave a few for the autumn though!

My Wildflower garden has not flourished as last year, the flowers are struggling but hopefully with the warmer drier weather they will soon flourish and delight us with their subtle and not so subtle colours! The Annuals and Perennials have flourished though, so too the dreaded weeds!
I have had Greenfinches eating the buds off the flower heads of a Smoke bush (Cotinus), I have never seen them do this before…so my smoke bush will not look as smoky as normal! Oh well as long as the birds enjoyed them!

During the heavy rains I set up my tripod in the conservatory and took ‘time out’ during my day to attach the scope and focus on the feeders. This I found turned out to be one bonus of the rainy weather. I sat many a day studying the birds in greater detail than I had ever done before. The Greenfinch juveniles with their soft expression, compared to the adults with their scowl. The warm brown eye of the Dunnock which I had failed to notice before. The plumage of the birds in greater detail…all added to cheer a rainy day. I still take ‘time out’ even though the weather has improved, after all the birds are still feeding and what a joy they are to see in close detail!

The thread ‘95% despair’ started by Maurice last night made me reflect on some of my above observations of this summer. I am fit and well enough to go ‘out and about’ in rain or shine but there are many who have to take advantage of a ‘good day’ to do the same. Then again most of us have a garden or at least a window to sit by and can watch the Flora and Fauna and hopefully derive a lot of pleasure from just viewing! My observations above stretch no further than my own garden.

Have you missed out or benefited from the rainy start to Summer? I feel mine is a combination of both.

Finally I cannot finish without a thought or two for the people who have and still are suffering the effects of the floods. I hope their lives will be back to normal sooner rather than later and hopefully steps will be taken by the appropriate authorities to lessen the chances of such devastation happening again.
So my thoughts are with these good people and everyone else who at present is going through a difficult period in their lives known only to themselves or family and friends.

I wish you all sunny and happier days ahead.

A short poem by one of my favourites poets to finish on.

Take A Little Time.
Take a little time for seeing
Grass and blooms with dew impearled.
Take a little time for being
Quiet in your own small world…

Take a little time for sowing
Flowers amongst life’s many weeds
Some day you will see them glowing,
Growing from the hidden seeds.

Patience Strong

Thanks Pam

for that beautiful and thought-provoking post! :clap: :clap:
It certainly made me stop and think!
Wonderful stuff!!!

Tony

Thanks Pam.. :t: .As Tony has said, very thought provoking thread. Well done and Thank You.

Ray

Pam....I have a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.....but thanks so much for those words and the poem.....it makes you think doesn't it that we should all take more time and make the most of simply just being here as you never know whats around the next bend.

Thanks Pam

for that beautiful and thought-provoking post! :clap: :clap:
It certainly made me stop and think!
Wonderful stuff!!!

Tony
Thank you for your very kind reply Tony. Your post Tony as you have gathered was my inspiration for the post. I thank you for that.

Thanks Pam.. :t: .As Tony has said, very thought provoking thread. Well done and Thank You.

Ray
Thank you Ray, I am pleased you enjoyed my thoughts.

Thank you Pam, for putting things into perspective.
Thank you also Mabel. Sometimes we all have to stand back and put things into perspective, that's life isn't it.

Pam....I have a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.....but thanks so much for those words and the poem.....it makes you think doesn't it that we should all take more time and make the most of simply just being here as you never know whats around the next bend.[/QUOTE]

Ruth I am pleased that you appreciated the post, even though I did not wish it to sound emotional, sometimes things happen in life that make certain events or expressions affect us personally. I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence, none of us know what is around the corner. Live for today and enjoy all that there is to offer.

I had intended to put my thoughts on here at the beginning of the week but my concentration was not how I would have liked it to be for posting.
Today seemed just right, I witnessed the sunrise this morning and it was beautiful, that inspired me this morning.

hello Pam and all. Like all of us we have been "enjoying" a lot of rain. Not as much as the folk further up the country. I bought myself a waxed hat for when Monty Donn came to Sandwich. I wore it incase it rained, of course it didn't, in fact the sun was too warm for me to wear my waxed hat! and I spent time in the garden while it rained. only gentle rain though. Sometimes my hat was not enough when it rained really hard! I love wearing my hat! When it rains really hard I stand on the chair in the bathroom. I can see the whole garden from there. The jays come regularly now, there are about four of them. Lots of young blackbirds and some magpies. The smaller birds are off at the moment, but I do hear them. The collared doves get really wet and just sit there getting wetter. Sometimes when life is whizzing by I make myself stand in the bathroom or sit by the pond even if it's just for a few minutes. I speak to the plants and have conversations with the frogs. We were told on a training day at school that we should take "golden moments" for ourselves. So I do . Then I go back to the "joyful mystery" that is life. T'other Rose and I sit on the bench like Wardolf and Statler and say how lucky we are. Today I walked with my friend and the dog and wondered at the beautiful clouds. A joy to walk the beatiful dog and have someone to share the greatness of nature.
Happy days and best wishes
Rose,

Ruth I am pleased that you appreciated the post, even though I did not wish it to sound emotional, sometimes things happen in life that make certain events or expressions affect us personally.

I witnessed the sunrise this morning and it was beautiful, that inspired me this morning.
It was very much appreciated Pam,thank you again.
I love watching the sunrise and all the of the promise of the full day ahead that it brings.

we should take "golden moments" for ourselves.
Thanks for sharing some of your "golden moments" with us Rose.

I bought myself a waxed hat for when Monty Donn came to Sandwich.
When it rains really hard I stand on the chair in the bathroom. I can see the whole garden from there . Sometimes when life is whizzing by I make myself stand in the bathroom or sit by the pond even if it's just for a few minutes. I speak to the plants and have conversations with the frogs.
We were told on a training day at school that we should take "golden moments" for ourselves. So I do .
Today I walked with my friend and the dog and wondered at the beautiful clouds. A joy to walk the beatiful dog and have someone to share the greatness of nature. ,
I would buy a new wax hat for Monty Don too Rose! ;) You have me worried for your safety now though, do be careful on that bathroom chair Rose :eek!: What a vantage point though to see the whole of your garden! As you say "just a few moments" is what we all need to step back from the hurly burly of life, and "Golden moments" what a wonderful phrase, a phrase I will certainly think of in future!
It is good to have company on walks and what better than a good friend and a faithful dog.
Thank you Rose for a delightful contribution to the thread.
Happy days to you and yours Rose.

It was very much appreciated Pam,thank you again.
I love watching the sunrise and all the of the promise of the full day ahead that it brings.
I am pleased you enjoyed it so much Ruth.

It is not often that I am awake early enough to watch the sunrise, sleepless nights this week for me...worth it to see the sunrise though!o:)

Hi Pam.
I have just looked in to see what's been said about your lovely post, to find that my reply, within about 20mins of you posting, has vanished in the ether.

Much of what I said has been covered by others, but the main thrust of mine was that your beautiful post covered most of the quintessential elements that go to make up an English garden in summer, and your choice of poem said so much of what life should be about. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us.

All the very best.
Baz.

Hi Pam.
I have just looked in to see what's been said about your lovely post, to find that my reply, within about 20mins of you posting, has vanished in the ether.

Much of what I said has been covered by others, but the main thrust of mine was that your beautiful post covered most of the quintessential elements that go to make up an English garden in summer, and your choice of poem said so much of what life should be about. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us.

All the very best.
Baz.

Hope your Gremlins have gone away now Baz:-O

Thank you Baz, the pleasure is mine to share with you all.

A lovely post Pam, and holding a sentiment that mirrors my own thoughts, we should all take time to "stand and stare", and just be glad to be alive. My family has a sad day coming up on the 12th, as it is the first anniversary of the death of my Hubby's dear Sister, and always at times like this, it makes one realise how so very fleeting is our time here.
I'm so glad you've made the most of the rainy days as well as the sunny ones, and d'you know?! I've never thought to set up the 'scope at home!! DOH!! |:$| :-O Something I will be trying for myself very soon, so thanks for giving me the idea!
My Best to You Pam,

A very good thread, Pam. *LOVELY* poem too. The part that make me think about the topic brings me to tears.

What / who have I missed this Summer? |=(|

We have our delightful Chimney Swifts raising an extraordinary ruckus when they come home too roost (and poop). No one has dropped in again. Still anxiously awaiting the arrival of a Swift named Mabel. :t:

So many birds have visited us and nested. We have delighted in seeing the fledglings and juveniles of the various Sparrow species, Blackbirds, Robins, Starlings, my dear little Wrens, the Hummers and so many others that were listed in another thread.

Mr. Cardinal always makes my heart sing when I see him enjoying his freedom although it may rain on him from time to time. I saw his this afternoon on the patio having lunch surrounded by House sparrows and at least 10 other Cardinals. I am so delighted he is around and doing well.

Gardening with the help of my toady friends is so much easier with their expert assistance. I have seen more butterflies and bird species in our yard than in many years. So what's the problem?

I am unable to share any of this with my Mum. She died in May of this year after several years of declining health. We cared for her at home and she would delight when I would bring a little toad inside to meet her and he'd hop on her bed or show her a strange caterpillar or feather found in the garden.

I am able to be outside more this summer than I have in the last seven summers combined and see all the wonders that Nature has bestowed on us. My joy at seeing a juvenile Sparrow trying out a new bird bath is tempered by the thought that I can no longer share the experience with the person who helped me to truly appreciate and respect all that Nature brings.

Lydia

A lovely post Pam, and holding a sentiment that mirrors my own thoughts, we should all take time to "stand and stare", and just be glad to be alive. My family has a sad day coming up on the 12th, as it is the first anniversary of the death of my Hubby's dear Sister, and always at times like this, it makes one realise how so very fleeting is our time here.
I'm so glad you've made the most of the rainy days as well as the sunny ones, and d'you know?! I've never thought to set up the 'scope at home!! DOH!! |:$| :-O Something I will be trying for myself very soon, so thanks for giving me the idea!
My Best to You Pam,

My thoughts will be with you and yours Judo, as you say our time is fleeting here.

Set the scope up and enjoy Judo, it opens up a whole new insight into our garden birds....the Starlings are so....no I will let you find out for yourself;) .We spend more time looking at our garden birds (well I do anyway) than in the field, so it seems a shame to keep the scope safely stored!

Enjoy Judo aand best wishes,

Gardening with the help of my toady friends is so much easier with their expert assistance. I have seen more butterflies and bird species in our yard than in many years. So what's the problem?

I am unable to share any of this with my Mum. She died in May of this year after several years of declining health. We cared for her at home and she would delight when I would bring a little toad inside to meet her and he'd hop on her bed or show her a strange caterpillar or feather found in the garden.

I am able to be outside more this summer than I have in the last seven summers combined and see all the wonders that Nature has bestowed on us. My joy at seeing a juvenile Sparrow trying out a new bird bath is tempered by the thought that I can no longer share the experience with the person who helped me to truly appreciate and respect all that Nature brings.

Lydia

Hi Lydia,

It is very difficult to come to terms with the loss of a parent, my heartfelt sympathy to you and yours Lydia. Your Mum left you a lasting legacy though Lydia your compassion and love for all Gods creatures, and we all know here that you have barrel loads of both! Enjoy your garden to the full Lydia that is what your Mum would have wished for you I am sure, time is a great healer.

Some wonderful birds you have had visit and stay with you Lydia, I have read your posts you see, even though I may not have replied to them all!

If I shout loud enough perhaps.......HURRY HOME MABEL, LYDIA IS WAITING FOR YOU!....see if that does the trick Lydia and let us know please;)

My best wishes to you,

Judo, my heartfelt sympathy for your loss. Time is fleeting so grab the ones you love and let them know it! {{{{{{{{cyber hug}}}}}

Dear Pam, what you wrote was truly beautiful and very comforting! Thank you!!!

... If I shout loud enough perhaps.......HURRY HOME MABEL, LYDIA IS WAITING FOR YOU!....see if that does the trick Lydia and let us know please...

From your mouth to God's ear! :t:

L.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back