• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velbon sherpa CF-640 tripod head? (1 Viewer)

Ashley beolens

Breeding the next generation of birders.
I have recently aquired a new Velbon Carbon Fibre tripod, (the one mentioned in the title), however my manfrotto/Swarovski heads do not fit, or at least I cannot get them to fit. Can anyone recomend a head to go with the above tripod? or does anyone know how to make one of these heads fit, I do like them.

cheers in advance.

I can get a Manfrotto head on to the old Velbon carbon pods....but it means a hacksaw :-( as the thread on the Velbon is too long for the Manfrotto, you may also need a small thread size adapter, but they're dirt cheap from a camera shop.

Ashley beolens said:
worth visiting a shop to ask them to do it then?
I dunno, I suppose a friendly camera shop would ....don't expect Jessops staff to jump into action on a saturday morning though. Is that the problem then? threaded bolt too long?

Cheers Andy, The bolt is too short! not too long, But I have read you can get other sizes. the other problem is the plate that the head sits on (at the top of the extendable neck) is too small, and the whole head would be quite loose. I have spoken to a friend of mine who has the same tripod, with a new manfrotto head on it, and that was too large as well, the shop he bought it from even added in some glue incase it became too loose! I have asked both Velbon and the importers (intro 2020) if they are can suggest anything, but I am still waiting on that.

Anyone else with any advice?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back