• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kite (1 Viewer)

Astrokev

Hi All,

Comments on this image would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

Attachments

• Red Kite 4779 -1 web.jpg
    Red Kite 4779 -1 web.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 288
I don't see much to not like in this sharp, well-exposed & well-lighted photo. Personally, I tend to like tight cropping in avian photography--I want to see as much "bird" as possible--but not everybody does, & in the case of your photo some people might prefer more blue sky above & to the right. I suppose it could also be lightened a tad (but maybe not?)

Personally, I tend to like tight cropping in avian photography--I want to see as much "bird" as possible--but not everybody does, & in the case of your photo some people might prefer more blue sky above & to the right.

Interesting comment - if you see my last post "Yellowhammer" you'll see that I too have mixed views on how tightly cropped the image should be. I think for this one, I was less interested in good composition, and more interested in trying to show the splendour/splendor of the bird itself. Image size constraints on BF dictated that it be a fairly tight crop to achieve this.

Regards
Kevin

Great photo.

My own preference would have been cropping to show the bird flying into the centre of the frame "more blue sky above & to the right."

Personally I prefer photo's with a bit of background showing typical habitat or images that express a certain characteristic of the bird. One of the more remarkable photo's that illustrate this can be found here.

Please don't let my comments ruin your enjoyment of a photograph to be proud of.

Ian

Personally I prefer photo's with a bit of background showing typical habitat or images that express a certain characteristic of the bird. One of the more remarkable photo's that illustrate this can be found here.

Ian
Ian....what a shot...what a photo!... Now, sky or not sky, that image could be just about anyplace and be worth it's take!....
For sky...do you feel the sky needs to have something in it....a bit of clouds...something to break up the blue to be worth it. I like sky too but find that just an expanse of blue with little variation doesn't lend itself to the eye. THoughts?

Great photo Astrokev. As far as any photo goes it depends entirely what you want to s how. You previously said that you wanted to focus on the bird and its details and this isowhat you have done very well. There are no interesting clouds in this shot so expanding the shot would have been of no real use.

Great shot and being really picky, I would have either made the birds wings go corner to corner (crop and turn slightly) or have the gap between the wing tip and the edge of the photo the same both sides, but as I said Kevin that's really picky an excellent shot

First off...cracking shot.

Your crop is as one would see in an illustration book or magazine where the picture would probably be too small to show the detail you have obtained. However, for the picture to hang on a wall or to serve in a double page magazine spread you need space on the right in my view. The shadow areas do need lightening up a bit to help bring out more detail. I made the sky a little more blue. It is a pitty there was not a more dramatic sky but you can't have everything. A large print would still show the detail in the bird so why not have a bit more sky?

Attachments

• red kite a.jpg
    red kite a.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 80
  • red-kite-1.jpg
    red-kite-1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 78
For PC viewing I like rotation left between say -49 to -59 degrees, so I get as much wing span and facial detail, then lighten it to bring out the contrast of feather color. If it's a print then leave it just the way it is. Brilliant shot either way.

I would like to have it a bit brighter. I used curves. Otherwise I did what Adrian did.

Attachments

• Red Kite 4779 -1 web uusi.jpg
    Red Kite 4779 -1 web uusi.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back