• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommend 1 great binocular for general viewing! (1 Viewer)

Not so Andy, I just tried mine with glasses and even curved sunglasses (with eyecups folded down), and I could see the full field with my glasses, and 98 percent with the sunglasses. Referring to the Nikon EII 8x30.

Last edited:
[*]The extreme parallax makes for a very disorienting experience at shorter distances (3-4m or so), to the point I first thought they were incorrectly collimated.
[/LIST]

Hello Fazalmajid,

Generally, 3-4m is the near limit for Porro binoculars for that reason. It goes with the territory.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Not so Andy, I just tried mine with glasses and even curved sunglasses (with eyecups folded down), and I could see the full field with my glasses, and 98 percent with the sunglasses. Referring to the Nikon EII 8x30.

One possible explanation is that you're nearsighted. Are you?

Ed

No Ed, I just need glasses to read closeup for very small print only, and my distance vision is OK, but sharper with my glasses. What are you trying to explain, I'm not sure?

Barry,

I was being sarcastic to the previous post.

Nothing personal.

A.W.

Didn't take it personally Andy, just factually, and I didn't want others to think they might not be able to use them if they did wear glasses. My mistake about reading your sarcasm, sorry. I'm not always looking for that.

The old ultrawide Porro, of which the 8x30 e2 is the last in the line are known to have limited eye relief and so are best suited for those who don’t wear glasses.
In reply to close focus issues, I have e one answer.. Pentax Papilio... I can focus on my own knees!

Peter

PS the Papilio are best for looking at little bugs and beasties, especially if one was tomlanf on your knee.

YMMV EII + glasses

OK, I guess I figured it out-some people with glasses can see the whole fov with the EII's, like me, yet others with different vision prescriptions can't (with eyecups folded down). I imagine that is what Ed was suggesting before-I just didn't understand his reference. Now that Peter says there is a history of it being better for non-glass wearers, I understand.

So, they do work for some with glasses, just not all, and it's not always a matter of what the eye relief value is. Interesting. Time for a :cat: nap to recharge my batteries! ; )

Interesting combination of recent thunks by me contained in this.
Firstly, agree with Arthur that my bin for absolutely everything is the Zeiss FL 8x32. The reason it wouldn't be the Eii is that it isn't robust enough or waterproof, but is optically great.
Unusually, with bins of 30mm objectives or smaller, i run them with the eyecups down, despite not wearing glasses for birding. I'm used to it, and have no problem doing it, and certainly get the full FoV. It started with the M7 8x30, when all that debate about 'veiling glare' was going on, and i was just experimenting; i then realised i preferred it, adapted a technique for smaller bins, and off i went into the big, wide sunset.....

OK, I guess I figured it out-some people with glasses can see the whole fov with the EII's, like me, yet others with different vision prescriptions can't (with eyecups folded down). I imagine that is what Ed was suggesting before-I just didn't understand his reference. Now that Peter says there is a history of it being better for non-glass wearers, I understand.

So, they do work for some with glasses, just not all, and it's not always a matter of what the eye relief value is. Interesting. Time for a :cat: nap to recharge my batteries! ; )

Good thinking! Now that you're rested, the optics of the eye, eyeglass, and binoculars actually become 'coherently coupled' and behave as system. In this way, the eyeglass prescription influences the binocular's 'effective' magnification, FOV, and eye-relief demand. Because of a change in retinal adapting field size, i.e., apparent field, a physiological feedback also induces pupil diameter change, which in turn influence the effective depth of field of the system.

All this from just putting on a pair of glasses and not even taking facial anatomy or eyeglass fit into consideration. :brains:

Now I need a nap too.

Ed

* The best source of information on this subject is: "The Eye and Visual Optical Instruments," 1997, by George Smith and David R. Atchison.

Last edited:
Good thinking! Now that you're rested, the optics of the eye, eyeglass, and binoculars actually become 'coherently coupled' and behave as system. In this way, the eyeglass prescription influences the binocular's 'effective' magnification, FOV, and eye-relief demand. Because of changes in retinal adapting field size, a physiological feedback also induces pupil diameter change, which in turn influence the effective depth of field of the system.

All this from just putting on a pair of glasses and not even taking facial anatomy or eyeglass fit into consideration. :brains:

Now I need a nap too.

Ed

* The best source of information on this subject is: "The Eye and Visual Optical Instruments," 1997, by George Smith and David R. Atchison.

Holy Cowabunga Ed! And now I need another nap now, so thank you for that too real scrambling of my brain!!! :gn: OK, I did get some of it I think; in essence, how we see things through binoculars varies between individuals and their prescriptions (& perceptions, and anatomy, etc, etc), is that about right in a double dropper dosage?

That is so much bigger than buckle and elkcub; I don't know that I can go on now, knowing the secrets of the universe! 3:) ADD has limitations, you know! ; )

Seriously Ed, thank you for your detailed explanation, and I am in awe of your brain right now. I am not jealous; just in awe.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back