• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven B3 or MeoPro HD as a 10x30ish format test? (1 Viewer)

Inquisitor

Hello,

Despite traditional warnings against 10x30/32 bins I am wanting to try a pair. I am curently using a 8x32 Zeiss Conquest and a 10x42 SLC HD. For some reason I cannot shake the idea of merging them into a 10x32. I like power, I move around a lot, and my interest in being out after dark is decreasing.

The generic game plan is to get a set of $400-500 10x32 bins to double check whether or not I can live with the small exit pupils and extra shake from being lighter. If not, then I still have my normal stuff and trade stock, if yes then I will sell all three and try a El or HD+ 10x32.

The two mentioned are are currently at the top of my trial list. Does anybody have the ability to speak about the quality differences between them?

I do not think I am willing to jump to the Conquest or MHG level for this basic platform test.

Thanks

I've not seen the Maven.
The only negative comment(s) from my experience with the MeoPro HD (I've owned the 8x32 and currently own the 10x42) are that I couldn't really get the 8x32s to fit with my glasses (a common issue for me and 8x32s...) and that they are not as bright as some others (though still brighter than the Vanguard Endeavour). There is also a fair amount of edge distortion, so depending upon how much sharp edges concern you, that may be an issue.

I’ve owned both in 10x32 and liked the Mavens much better. Larger sweet spot and less glare. The Mavens are much lighter which I like as well. However if you’re worried about being able to keep a light glass steady then maybe you’d prefer the MeoPro. Maven has a 30 day demo trial program so they are easy to check out. Very nicely built assembled in USA of Japanese components

Jremmons, I briefly had a 10x42MeoPro HD...they had a smallish sweet spot but good color and a very sharp center. Also, the overall field as you say was not sharp to the edge as you say but it was large enough to make me not feel boxed in. I liked them well enough except for the thick squarish eye ups. I distinctly remember testing them with a 8x42 Conquest and being pretty satisfied that the MeoPro was a good contender. I also recall not liking the sharp strap lugs.

Upland, thank you..very good to find someone who has had both. I want to double check though...the MeoPro unit you had...was it the redesigned HD version? Did you find the FOV sastifactory on the Mavens?

Justabirdwatcher, I suspect your advice may be excellent. Unfortunately my whims to experiment with something new can be pretty darn powerful. I was thinking also that the little Vortex Raptors with a little porro boost might fit here as well.

One problem with the Mavens is that as soon as I entertain the 10x30 B3 I also have to remember the Monarch 7.

Justabirdwatcher, I suspect your advice may be excellent. Unfortunately my whims to experiment with something new can be pretty darn powerful.

Ditto. My binocular fetish has cost me a lot of money over the years. At least I don't have an alpha bin fetish. LOL

In all seriousness, the only 10x32's I've ever looked through that actually impressed me enough to forget they were 10x32's, was a friend's pair of Zeiss Victory 10x32's. Now those were nice enough to ditch pretty much everything else I own.

Yes I owned the new Meopros.

The field of view on the Mavens is quite wide at 341’. The Maven has very nice sharpness almost to edges to my eyes so has a wider useful fov for me.

One advantage the MeoPro has is price. Buying them from Optics Planet with a promo code will cost about $365. They have a great return policy so if you want to try them it’s easy. My reccomendation would be to buy them both at the same time and pick the one you like best. Everyone’s eyes are different and you might prefer the MeoPro.

I have the Maven B3 8x30 and it is a very nice binocular. From the Mavenbuilt.com website, it appears that the 10x30 has eye relief similar to the 8x30 and that could be a problem if you wear glasses while using a binocular. I don't wear glasses, but several people on the forum found the eye relief insufficient at ~15mm. BTW, I found that adding after market winged eye shields helped with eye placement and steadiness, not to mention reducing any reflections or glare from behind you or to the side.

I have only tried the Conquest 8x32 and that only briefly at a show. It seemed considerably larger and heavier than the Maven, and nothing about the optics jumped out urging me to upgrade. I was very impressed with the 8x32 FL; it was better than either Conquest or Maven. But it was much more expensive. Also, the force is very strong around the Zeiss booth so objective comparisons are difficult.

Alan

Boy, the Zeiss FLs sure seem to make an impression on you guys that have seen them.

I will probably order a demo from Maven then..it feels less shady to return them if it doesn't work out since they boldy offer the demo option and even give you a return label. I am a little worried that they will be too small and fiddly for me at 10x(part of the whole point of the test).I own a 8x30 M7 so I have a decent idea of what to expect size wise.

What about the Kowa 10x32 XD Prominar? I have read hints that the massive CA in the first released models may have been corrected. BH photo says the FOV is only 315'....surely that can't be right?

I still can't help but wonder how the MeoPro HD and Kowa BD XD build quality and optics would compare side by side even if the Kowa has a much smaller field.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back