• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sum Plum White-billed Diver in Kent (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

OK I know they're not the rarity that they once were and that they can be seen annually BUT the appearance of one in near full summer plumage particularly so far south surely deserves comment. It's still present this morning and, although it seems to range along 4-5 miles of coastline, shouldn't be too hard to find as it's generally been fairly close in (esp at high tide), unlike most other divers around there is in summer plumage and that stonking great banana masquerading bill makes it identifiable at long range. Huge relief that it remained for those at Saturday's KOS Conference (which was superb) to see it on Sunday. I urge anyone who can make it to pop along and see it and, hopefully, post any photos here!

It’s a bit too far to twitch from Hong Kong John, but if were interstwd where on the Kent coast should I be looking?
Cheers
Mike

It’s a bit too far to twitch from Hong Kong John, but if were interstwd where on the Kent coast should I be looking?
Cheers
Mike

It's been anywhere along the north Thanet coast (i.e. between Margate and Minnis Bay, Westcliff). Not sure it was seen yesterday but I think fewer people are looking. Although not a lifer (I saw one in the 1970s) I'd rate it as the best bird I've ever seen in Kent and up there in my top half dozen birds.

It's been anywhere along the north Thanet coast (i.e. between Margate and Minnis Bay, Westcliff). Not sure it was seen yesterday but I think fewer people are looking. Although not a lifer (I saw one in the 1970s) I'd rate it as the best bird I've ever seen in Kent and up there in my top half dozen birds.

Did you miss the Golden-winged Warbler? :eek!:

John

Did you miss the Golden-winged Warbler? :eek!:

John

I saw the Golden-winged Warbler but for me there's something iconic about a summer plumaged White-billed Diver stemming, I suspect, from being one of the species featured in a plate in "The Popular Handbook of Rarer British Birds" - the very first plate indeed. It's astonishing to reflect how many species covered in this venerable old book are now seen annually but back in the early 1960s (I think I got copy in 1962 or 1963) being featured in the book gave the species covered a certain mystique.

It's astonishing to reflect how many species covered in this venerable old book are now seen annually but back in the early 1960s (I think I got copy in 1962 or 1963) being featured in the book gave the species covered a certain mystique.

Cracking bird!

I used to spend hours thumbing through bird books and dreaming of the smallest, biggest, rarest, most colourful. Whilst I was never or not into the exotic type birds some dreams have been fulfilled!

Red-Flanked Bluetail was a bird I thought I would never see despite being half Finnish. Pallid Harrier was up there too.

Now you have got me thinking of flicking back through to see if I can remember if there was anything further beyond the possibilities/likelihood that has now come into 'range'...

I saw the Golden-winged Warbler but for me there's something iconic about a summer plumaged White-billed Diver stemming, I suspect, from being one of the species featured in a plate in "The Popular Handbook of Rarer British Birds" - the very first plate indeed. It's astonishing to reflect how many species covered in this venerable old book are now seen annually but back in the early 1960s (I think I got copy in 1962 or 1963) being featured in the book gave the species covered a certain mystique.

I understand that perfectly: I think I've seen a dozen birds this year that were rarities when I started but are so no longer. White-billed Divers are massive and classy and I thoroughly enjoyed this one the other week. :t:

John

One of the few advantages of being of a certain age!...lamenting the passing of many regular species that were ''once upon a time'' common, no doubt now would be to the incredulity of younger troops!

Being followed by the seemingly rapid colonisation of those species that would have been considered in the '60's....from the realms of fantasy!

Not exactly in the class of White-billed Diver and Red-flanked Bluetail!...but almost nine years ago on November 29th 2009, I encountered c11 miles from St.Pauls, two Little Egrets, Firecrest and a Goshawk...had to lie down afterwards. :eek!:

Last edited:
Are there any good pics posted anywhere?

Sadly I've never seen a summer plumage bird - my only one was a very knobbly headed winter-plumaged bird at St Ives in 1988 which definitely fell like a proper rare - indeed the BBRC rare birds report for 1988 described it as the eighth British record south of Yorkshire.

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back