• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In your opinion, the best looking binoculars are.... (1 Viewer)

rdnzl

Not Sure.
United States
I'm partial to these. B&L Mk28 and Zephyr. What I consider perfect form. One large, and one small.

Attachments

• Mk28.jpg
    Mk28.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 84
  • zephyr.jpg
    zephyr.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 85
Zeiss Dialyt 7x42B

My God, what an elegant, yet masculine and rugged design. It immediately reminded me of the Porsche 930 Turbo in black with its distinctly German, almost Gothic aesthetic. The moving bridge is very charming as well and harkens back to a simpler time, like air-cooled turbo engines.

Attachments

• dialyt 7x42.jpg
    dialyt 7x42.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 930 turbo black.jpg
    930 turbo black.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 59
I like the simple, elegant classic looks of the Leica Trinovid BA. I think it is one of the best looking and toughest binoculars around. The ribs on the armour keep your fingers from sweating and it is comfortable in the hand.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Whatever I say, there’s likely to be some Leica model or other - perhaps from their Silverline series - perhaps covered with the skin of some endangered South American reptile - perhaps made from beautifully machined unobtanium - that looks better. And so it should, for the no-doubt stratospheric price.

Absent that, I have rather a liking for the “industrial brutalist” form-follows-function look of the Zeiss FL series and that Trinovid mentioned above. While I prefer those, the more conventionally good-looking Zeiss HTs are, I’ll confess, very nice-looking and likely to seem so to more peoples’ tastes.

...Mike

Last edited:
I liked the design of the Night Owls.
Also, I have a soft spot for the Leica ultravid 8x32, the zeiss dialyt 8x30 b/ga t* and Nikon 10x42 SE.
Ofcourse I like my 7x42 T*FL and victory 8x25 (form + function).

Leica BN

Hello,

I am not certain if this Leica in eye catching red is beautiful or naff. The armor is irreplaceable.

Stay safe
Arthur :hi:

Attachments

• Leica BN.jpeg
    Leica BN.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 66
... the pair that I have with me when sth interesting shows up... which is my Papilio 6x21 often enough...

Joachim

I don't care in the slightest how 'good looking' binoculars might be just that they're ergonomically designed, good to use and optically superb - aesthetics come a very long way behind.

Aesthetics come a long way behind function for me too, although I only wanted the black version when I bought my FL’s, so guess it must matter a little for me ;)

I don't care in the slightest how 'good looking' binoculars might be just that they're ergonomically designed, good to use and optically superb - aesthetics come a very long way behind.

Maybe another topic for discussion.....Which bins have the best ergos.

I like the simple, elegant classic looks of the Leica Trinovid BA. I think it is one of the best looking and toughest binoculars around. The ribs on the armour keep your fingers from sweating and it is comfortable in the hand.

Dennis, that is a truly refined choice. The texturing on the rubber preventing the pooling of sweat is something I did not know. I learn something new every day on here, I swear.

Some nice choices. I always find porros to be more attractive. At least to me they are, but you guys mentioned some nice roofs. Maybe its because I grew up in the late 50's and 60's using porros.

I would judge a 'good look' as one that makes you want to pick them up and point them at something.
In that regard, i'm going for two i already have - the Zeiss FL 8x32 - short, stubby, robust, less lines on the armouring than the Leica, but enough to feel a little vintage...and the:
Nikon EII 8x30 - like the vintage open-top two-seater that you might get out to take The Duchess for a spin on a summer's day.....perhaps with an Epsom basket containing lobster and Champagne. The binocular equivalent of an Austin Healey Sprite.

Dennis, that is a truly refined choice. The texturing on the rubber preventing the pooling of sweat is something I did not know. I learn something new every day on here, I swear.
I noticed when I used the Trinovid BN my hands didn't sweat as much and I thought about it and I realized it was because the little channels in the BN's armour helps ventilate your hands because it allows air to move around under your hands. The armour on the BN's is also harder than most binoculars so it naturally doesn't cause your hands to sweat as much as some of the softer more pliable armour as commonly used on other binoculars plus it is very durable. The Zeiss Dialyt 7x42B uses a similar type of harder armour with grooves in it also for ventilation and also for a better grip.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am not certain if this Leica in eye catching red is beautiful or naff. The armor is irreplaceable.

Stay safe
Arthur :hi:
I like the red. You don't commonly see them. Very racy. It looks like a Ferrari Enzo. Same red with black.

Attachments

• 282c5fd50cccdecfc64507bcffbba1f5a83a32d9.jpg
    282c5fd50cccdecfc64507bcffbba1f5a83a32d9.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Leica BN.jpeg
    Leica BN.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back