• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ross No. 5 Mk 4 “Tuna Can” 7x50 (1 Viewer)

rdnzl

Not Sure.
United States
I picked these up today. An interesting looking bin. 7x50 and they are nice and bright. Very clean inside and out. Very solid feeling without being too heavy.

Any idea of how to date them? I'm guessing 1943 or 1944. These were used a lot by coastal watchers. There is a range finder "Graticule" on the right side.

Attachments

• IMG_9443qqq.jpg
    IMG_9443qqq.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 32
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 22
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 28
Hello Dude,

I have a similar binocular: No.5, mk 5. If they are coated, they were probably upgraded after WWII. The red terminals are for internal electric heaters. Mine has an obscured engraving, ending in 944. !944?

Stay safe.
Arthur :hi:

Last edited:
Not exactly birder bins, but they look to be pretty nice for stargazing and general use. I'm guessing they are probably an "armory refurb". They've definitely been cleaned internally, or not seen much action.And the green paint looks to have been touched up a bit. I like them. Unlike anything in my collection.

Hello,

A UK collector told me that the No. 5 Mk 5, were as good or better than the wartime Leitz Porro II 7x50. I agree. Another collector wrote that the Porro II design did not lend itself to edge sharpness. The design certainly had better light transmission than contemporary Porro I designs.

Unfortunately, like many military glasses, it was not made for very near sighted users.

Use them well!

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
Hi rdnzl,

Terence Wayland's extensive research on Ross binoculars can be found on Peter Abrahams' classic Europa site,
see at: http://home.europa.com/~telscope/Ross/

I’ve attached a copy of the PDF on military binoculars. See from page 5 on regarding the No. 5 models
The page starts with an outline of the No. 5 variations:
- see the screen grab: the No. 5 Mk IV was introduced in November 1941, and
- the text then goes on to list serial numbers and production dates

John

p.s. the home page for the Europa site is at: http://www.europa.com/~telscope/binotele.htm

Attachments

• Introduction - No.5 pattern Ross binoculars.jpg
    Introduction - No.5 pattern Ross binoculars.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Ross.military.binoculars.by.T.Wayland.pdf
    79.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back