• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod mounting a Papillio (1 Viewer)

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
A friend is seeking to mount their Papillo on a tripod for extended viewing. Whilst they do have an integral tripod mount there is not much room around it.

Pentax do make an extender but is that strictly needed?

Anyone have any experience of using the tripod mount with either a tripod or a monopod?

Any tips?

I've used the Papilio many times with both of my tripods. Both tripods have Velbon heads that use plates of different size and shape, one is bigger than the other, but the Papilio fits both fine without the need for any extender or any further implementation. See picture for reference. Although it looks as if the underside of the Papilio would not be up to the job, the plates fit perfectly. Piece of cake :)

This is something I do to study things with comfort and particularly to attach a little holder so I can take pictures with my smartphone through the Papilio.

Attachments

• Pentax_Papilio_tripod.jpg
    Pentax_Papilio_tripod.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 72
I always mount my Papilio on a small tripod with crank elevation and panning . I bought the Papilio's for one purpose and that's to get up close and personal to insects and other objects. Being on a tripod I don't have to constantly play with the focusing as much .
I use a Velbon Sherpa tripod that was given to me by an acquaintance that found it while hiking through our river valley system . Nothing wrong with it and it suits the pap's wonderfully .

Attachments

• DSC00461 (Large).JPG
    DSC00461 (Large).JPG
    681.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00453 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00453 (Medium).JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 23
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back