• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 8x25 VS Swarovski Pocket CL 8x25 (1 Viewer)

I compared the Zeiss Victory 8x25 and the Swarovski CL 8x25 and I preferred the Swarovski for two reasons. The Zeiss Victorys eye cups were too short for the eye relief so with my somewhat shallow eye sockets I had to float the binoculars in front of my eyes to see a full FOV without blackouts. I didn't have this problem with the Swarovski CL because the eye cups matched the eye relief much closer. The 2nd reason was even though the Zeiss has a bigger FOV the sweet spot or % of the FOV that is sharp is much smaller than the Swarovski with the Swarovski having much sharper edges. In the end I found them both too finicky and have moved on to an image stabilized compact because it is much less finicky with eye placement and it doesn't shake like most compacts do. It doesn't have quite the optics of the Zeiss or the Swarovski but I find it more usable in the field. The Nikon 10x25 IS.

I compared the Zeiss Victory 8x25 and the Swarovski CL 8x25 and I preferred the Swarovski for two reasons. The Zeiss Victorys eye cups were too short for the eye relief so with my somewhat shallow eye sockets I had to float the binoculars in front of my eyes to see a full FOV without blackouts. I didn't have this problem with the Swarovski CL because the eye cups matched the eye relief much closer. The 2nd reason was even though the Zeiss has a bigger FOV the sweet spot or % of the FOV that is sharp is much smaller than the Swarovski with the Swarovski having much sharper edges. In the end I found them both too finicky and have moved on to an image stabilized compact because it is much less finicky with eye placement and it doesn't shake like most compacts do. It doesn't have quite the optics of the Zeiss or the Swarovski but I find it more usable in the field. The Nikon 10x25 IS.

I agree with you about eye cups of Victory - it is strange flaw. And about % of sharp image in CL. Is it true. But...

My hands always "ask" CL, because Swarovski has more imposing design. And it feels like very solid optical instrument. In terms feelings in the hands CL is the best.

But..after viewing in Swarovski my eyes "ask" Victory...the wider FOV, brighter image...these moments obviously is in the first place for my eyes.

Great review Igor.

I have, very annoyingly, lost my Swarovski 8x25 binoculars and am seriously considering Victory 8x25 instead.

Someone was lucky to find my Swarovskis. I just hope they appreciate what they found.

I agree with both comments above having owned both the Victory and the CL’s. The CL’s worked much better for my eyes as I found i had to hover the Victory’s just away from my eyes to get the best view due to those shorter eye cups. I also found the edges much softer than the Swaros despite the smaller FOV of the Swaro.

i wish the VicTory’s had worked for me though as I found they settled in my hands very quickly and intuitively with the single hinge design. I still fiddle with the CL Pockets and the double hinge when I go to use them on occasion.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back