• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

Tim Allwood said:
Cley Beach cafe does good beans on toast etc

The bakers on A149 on eastern outskirts of Hunstanton (very close to Titchwell) does great real coffee and snacks as does the beach cafe there near golf

Salthouse has a newish place on the green and chip shop might be open opposite beach road

A 5 minute detour to Burnham Market might be worthwhile if you want more choice

Cheers for that Tim...........hhmm beans on toast.........one of my favs.

Rob Smallwood said:
Can recommend the smoked mackeral and horseradish sarnies at Cookies smokehouse at Salthouse - if you can stand the crowds.

Now that sounds interesting Rob.............not sure the missus would go for that but i would.......cheers.

Would anybody be good enough to PM me the loction for the Monties so I can add it to the itinerary for this weekend please???

Cheers,

Stew

Upton Fen was rather good today.

Swallowtails & Norfolk Hawkers. c.6-10 Painted Lady (my first of the year) . Also Meadow Brown, Speckled Wood, Brimstone butterflies

some profusion of orchids - mostly Western Marsh (i think ? - well they look nice whatever they are anyhow), with one or two Common Spotted & one Bee Orchid in flower

Birds - 3+ Hobby (could even have been 5)
2 Marsh Harrier
1 Buzzard drifting over eastwards
Cuckoo calling
Reed Buntings feeding young

top sight was a Hobby that was obviously not content with mere dragonflies so decided to chase after a few of the local Lapwings, then when that didn't work out turned his attention to a passing Marsh Harrier instead. Needless to say that weren't exactly succesful either !

best outing of the year

Attachments

• Bee Orchid.jpg
    Bee Orchid.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 386
  • CS Orchid.jpg
    CS Orchid.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 377
  • swallowtail.jpg
    swallowtail.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 399
  • WM Orchid.jpg
    WM Orchid.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 401
Well i'm back and had a good trip.

Beans on toast were great at Cley cafe....thanks Tim.

If you are looking for somewhere to eat in the evenings then the Wiveton Bell at Wiveton is great.Might have to book.......it is very popular.

weekend in norfolk

thanx to all who helped plan my trip!

had a great weekend in Norfolk and the highlights were:

lakenheath: 3 x golden oriole, 3 x hobby
weeting heath: 2 x stone curlew with day old chick
cley/salthouse: little terns, little egrets, turtle doves, marshharriers
bearded tits, nightjars
titchwell: 10 x spotted redshank, 10 x little gull, 1 x med gull, little tern
bar-tailed godwits

then i finished the weekend of with montague's harrier (male&female), marsh harrier, common buzzard, sparrowhawk and then corn buntings before returning home with a huge smile on my face!
thanx all
steve

Avocets and bee-eater

My brother in law rang me on saturday to say he was watching 2 Avocets on the snettisham reserve.He does this to make me jealous having been to norfolk once only!They were on the part where dogs can be walked if thats any help.Bitter thing is;while I was playing cricket on saturday,Andy Sims had found 2 avocets on Apex lake,which is only 100 yards from where I was standing/fielding!
Rollers
I'm at work now.Phil,my coresetter,was visiting in Flitcham(Abbey Road) last week,and described an unusual bird for him.'blue breast with yellow neck and a bent beak quite long.Using our database I showed him an image and he said it was the bird.He was there until friday morning,and said there was always birds at the table.

had a few hours walking around buckenham marsh and strumpshaw fen
this afternoon.nothing out of the ordinary, but I did get ..

14 avocets at buckenham rspb with
3 little egrets*
2 hobbys
5 redshanks
1 pair of marsh harriers
1 grey wagtail

also stunning close views of a sedge warbler wondering what to do with a horse fly(possibly the same one which bit me ten minutes earlier)

back at strumpshaw even more hobbys (4) were found with at least two pairs of marsh harriers,one of which dropped down into the reeds with a huge rat!,then sat in front of the fen hide on an old tree stump giving all those present excellent close views.also bearded tits were active in the reeds,one female was seen well from the visitors hide.

no luck with the swallowtails or kingfisher today,maybe next week?

either way, a nice sunny afternoon in the norfolk broads,only downside is I
managed to leave my mobile phone on top of the car while driving out of the carpark,didn't realize til 28 miles down the A140 :'D

lord knows where it is now?

matt

Swallowtails are best seen down the wide track just west of the reserve. 300 odd yards down is a house on the right with a lovely garden - they get all over that general area. Norfolk Hawkers too.

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
Swallowtails are best seen down the wide track just west of the reserve. 300 odd yards down is a house on the right with a lovely garden - they get all over that general area. Norfolk Hawkers too.

Tim

think I know the house you mean,the old guy who owns the house is a pleasure to talk to if ever you pass by and he's working in his garden,I
believe he is quite an eminent naturalist and auther,though don't recall
his name.

matt

Ericmd said:
Rollers
I'm at work now.Phil,my coresetter,was visiting in Flitcham(Abbey Road) last week,and described an unusual bird for him.'blue breast with yellow neck and a bent beak quite long.Using our database I showed him an image and he said it was the bird.He was there until friday morning,and said there was always birds at the table.

Sorry if I've interpreted this wrong... but did you just say you know someone who had a Roller in Flitcham the other day?! Yellow neck doesn't fit though..

Can't find the post i'm referring to now ... where's it gone ???? ....

anyhow - Marsh Helleborine at Upton Fen, Tim - where ? (on that meadow, sort of round to the right from the main entrance track, maybe?)

i lost a photo i was rather pleased with, and now i'm after another one

there is a good tea room in Stokesby :t:

Karl, the post was Fen Orchid in Norfolk, if you know where the Fen Orchids are then in a week or two stand in the same place and you should easily see a few Marsh Helleborines

PM me if you need exact locations (it is impossible to find them without!)

Tim

Yes found the thread again now - it was obviously far too early in the morning !

Anyhow .... your mailbox is full ole bean !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back