• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fen's Pool Nr (1 Viewer)

1100-1200 today.

Cool breeze but 5 spp of warbler including Whitethroat and Reed.

Ca30 Sand Martins hawking over Fens Pool but surprise of the visit was a calling Cuckoo for about a minute:eek!:

The first i have heard in the West Midlands county for i don't know how long unless it is some pr@t with a loudspeaker on the estate somewhere which wouldn't surprise me?

Laurie:t:

Had a message yesterday of a friend who fishes the pools.
Little Egret was within 15 foot of him and kept him company until 22.14 at least 2 hours.
He got a photo with his phone as proof, he was really chuffed to have been so close.

I don't think the Internet has reached the Snetters yet Mark;)

The top pool (Fens) remains mercifully low, which bodes well for any passage waders or Egrets on the mooch. This will gradually change as it has been reported by one of the wardens (an ex-student of mine, Steve Beardes) to the Anal and Skiver Trust. I shall have a quiet word with him to NOT report low water levels prior to wader passage:-@ Their mainenance droids didn't tighten up a valve on the overflow properly - i am not surprised as they look as though they should have carried on up the hill to Russell's Hall Hospital and booked themselvess in.....#chubsters

An hour or so on Sunday yielded a pair of Gadwall on the Middle Pool. This is a new 'patch' species for me and i don't think it is annual? Either way i should have remembered to have packed my Black Widow 'gatty' to push them off towards the Golden Puddle;)

With the UK's first 'reported' Little Ringed Pullover at Sandwell Valley RSPB and a Sand Martin reported at, wait for it, Tipton who needs Cley?

Milder conditions will return from tomorow onwards with the wind swinging towards the South West - bring it on.....

Good birding -

Popped over in the week and the warden and a few volunteers were litter picking. 20 bin bags full in an hour.
Not much in the way of birds though.

Male Redstart singing and flycatching in the south east corner of the top pool at 13.40. Also Swallow, Blackcap, Willow Warbler.

Male Redstart again in the south east corner of the top pool at 13.45, with three male Reed Buntings. Also at least four Willow Warblers round the pool, and a pair of Shovelers, possibly the same pair that were at Netherton reservoir first thing this morning.

I thought with all the Wheatears being reported this morning I'd see if I could find one at lunchtime. Found a male Wheatear on the bank on the south side of Middle Pool at 13.20. That's a site tick for me. There are also a lot of Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs round the pools, felt like there was one in every bush. No hirundines though.

Ca1130 yesterday - cool conditions but almost no wind, no hirundines noted at all. A sprinkling of Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff and Blackcap but no other species seen or heard. It did yield a year tick in the form of 3 Common Sandpipers on the Middle Pool:t: The Top (Fens) Pool has now refilled following seasonal guidelines from the worlds most wildlife and customer unfriendly organisation: The Canal and River (un)Trust - this is in accordance with making bodies of water unattractive to passage waders whilst harassaing continuous cruisers on the local canals themselves......... #rantover;)

4 female-type shoveler and 2 eclipse-type Pintail on Fens Top Pool ystda along with a few calling Chiffchaff and a few flyover Redwing.

I only gave it 45 minutes as half a dozen local scramblers thought they were at Cradley Speedway. They kept to the cinder tracks but it's not the sort of background noise i want and thus i left early. There is NO warden presence at the weekends now which sends out the wrong message and spoils it for anybody else wanting to use the place:C

I only live five minutes away but this is only the second time I have visited this site due to its nefarious reputation.
In the hour or so I was there I had the following species -
BHG,Blackbird,Blue Tit,Bullfinch,Carrion Crow,Coot,Cormorant,Goldfinch,GBBG,Great Crested Grebe,Great Spotted Woodpecker,Great Tit,Green Woodpecker,LBBG,Little Grebe,Magpie,Mallard,Moorhen,Pheasant,Robin,
Tufted Duck,Wood Pigeon,Yellow Legged Gull.
Bumped into Saltwells Birder who added Teal and Water Rail to the days list.
Not bad for a winters day in suburban birding hotspot that is Brierley Hill

Had a stroll around today, nothing special, couple of Bullfinches and a nice flock of Long tailed Tits. Good to see someone is keeping the feeders going

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back