• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snowy Egret and Great Blue Heron- feeding style (1 Viewer)

Mick50

One of my favorite local birding spots, a small reservoir that is almost fully drained with plans to be turned into a future meadow and wetland area, has been hosting a rare (location and time-of-year) Snowy Egret for almost a week now. There's also been a more regular Great Blue Heron, and it's been very enjoyable to watch their very different feeding styles. The Heron is deliberate, slow, and stalker-like, whereas the Snowy is rambunctious and will zig-zag through the water. The Heron displaced the Snowy once as I looked on, after what seemed a successful catch. Unfortunately they both went behind the cover of tree branches hanging out over the water, and I missed what happened next.

Michael
Pennsylvania, USA

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back