• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So What do Your Binoculars and Other Equipment Say about You?! (1 Viewer)

Adey Baker

Or what do you hope they say about you!

Or what do other peoples' binoculars say about them!

Well, it's clear from other threads that there are some very good porro-prism binoculars out there, at a good price as well, but in an age where 'Image' is everything, many people wouldn't be seen dead using anything other than roof prisms!

So do your bins say that you're:
Slavishly following fashion
Prepared to pay for the best no matter what the cost
Happy to be part of the 'club,' using similar kit to everyone else
Not bothered, so long as they help you to see the birds

Other kit can say a lot about you, but clothing changes with the weather (usually - although I do once remember a mate wearing full Barbour Jacket/wellies, etc., whilst walking along the beach on a sunny Bank Holiday with sun-bathers all around!).

Telescopes get a lot of use but when not being looked through they're often packed away inside an anonymous stay-on case which is slung out of sight over the shoulder or across the back.

In fact, they're carried whilst binoculars are worn, close to the heart, like jewellery.

So any opinions - either serious or frivolous!

Adey

Greetings!

My equipment always says:

"Thanks for taking such good care of me! Thanks for never letting me get scratched, dirty, dented, scraped, and broken! Thanks for never loaning me to unappreciative idiots and curious lurkers! Most of all... thanks for giving me as much as I give you!"

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic Chicken said:
Thanks for never loaning me to unappreciative idiots and curious lurkers!

It's interesting that people are quite prepared to let others look through their scope when it's set-up on a particular bird, but lending out binoculars is akin to letting someone else use your toothbrush!

Hi all,
What does my equipment say about me? That I'm impoverished, and may well go blind from using poor quality bins that should have been thrown away years ago, and the Christmas cracker that they must have come in!
Doesn't stop me from birding, though....
Harry

I think it's impossible not to give someone the once over when you first bump into them and then make some stereotypical judgment on their seriousness and ability based on their equipment and appearance. I don't really mind that so long as people then put that to the back of their minds and speak to you on the same level as themselves.

Always beware of birders with old, battered equipment. It's usually old and battered because it's been used a lot, and a hell of a lot of good birds have been seen through them!

My equipment says: I'm middle class, but take birding seriously enough, to buy bino's that are a little more than my means should be able to afford. (Nice pair of Eagle Optics) My scope is less quality, because my wife is sick of me spending money on birding magazines, field-guides, and camera equipment, so I settled for a cheap one.

Mike

Hi Tom,
tom mckinney said:
Always beware of birders with old, battered equipment. It's usually old and battered because it's been used a lot, and a hell of a lot of good birds have been seen through them!
Amen, brother.... ;)
Harry

tom mckinney said:

On the other hand there's the newly early-retired couple who have just spent £4-5000 of their lump sums on 80-85mm scopes, carbon tripods and two of the latest 8/10x42, together with the very latest version of the Country Innovations waistcoat, and dont really know a Capercaille from a Xmas Turkey or a racing pigeon from a Merlin!

In this day and age of rampant consumerism, there's no escaping that what you own/wear/drive/use "says" something about you. I confess that I've cringed too many times in recent years when I've come across a well-heeled contingent of novice birders, all of whom look like they've just stepped out of the outdoor outfitters showroom, including the Swarovski top-of-the-line binocs (and scope!), Tilley hat, etc. Image!

My philosophy about binoculars is that birders, once committed to this wonderful activity, should get the very, very best they can possibly afford, as this investment pays dividends every time you look at a bird. I might say something similar about spotting scopes, but binoculars are far more fundamental, I think.

That said, what my equipment says is that I slavishly read the optics reviews, including BVD, to get what I hope is the most possible bang for my bucks. My binoculars are Nikon porro Superior E's and my scope is a Pentax PF80-ED, both of which are middle-priced but which perform fabulously for the money. Sure, I'd love to own Swarovski premium optics, but I'd feel guilty about the expenditure and besides, I'm afraid my wife would consider divorce :eek!:

Which me?

When I walk out with my 1950 Leitz 8x30 Binuxit, I appear to be a hopeless amateur with his father's binoculars. When I use a Zeiss Victory, I must appear as rather out of touch, as that binocular did not get a very warm reception by America's "authority" on birding optics.
When I use a 12x50 binocular on a monopod, I must appear to be rather dedicated to the activity.
Since my favourite time for bird watching is Sunday, after divine services, my attire, sports jacket and a proper hat, certainly must add to the judgement of "old fashioned" by others.
For sure, I do not lend my toothbrush, my fountain pen or my binoculars to others! What galled me was when a coworker, who earns more than I do, asked to borrow a Zeiss glass for the weekend!

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Last edited:
Dunno about the old geezers with the battered optics...
They are usually the 1's who bore you to death, with tales
of derring do 2000 years ago..and they smell funny too... ;)
My gear says that I'm poor now, but was once quite affluent
...but content with what I've got..

Am I boring you?

Dave.

Doug Greenberg said:
I confess that I've cringed too many times in recent years when I've come across a well-heeled contingent of novice birders, all of whom look like they've just stepped out of the outdoor outfitters showroom, including the Swarovski top-of-the-line binocs (and scope!), Tilley hat, etc. Image!

My philosophy about binoculars is that birders, once committed to this wonderful activity, should get the very, very best they can possibly afford, as this investment pays dividends every time you look at a bird.

That said, what my equipment says is that I slavishly read the optics reviews, including BVD, to get what I hope is the most possible bang for my bucks. My binoculars are Nikon porro Superior E's and my scope is a Pentax PF80-ED, both of which are middle-priced but which perform fabulously for the money.

I'm with you Doug.

When I see those gawdy white Tilley hats my first instinct is to run. It just kills me at the colors these people wear. I wish I could get across to them what truly magical moments they miss by not being quiet, slow and unobtrusive.

And I like to have what I perceive to be the best stuff I can afford. I figure I need all the help I can get.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I've only ever heard guys worry/wonder about what their equipment says about them or others. Of all the women birders I know (admittedly, all US birders -- haven't had the privilege of meeting distaff birders elsewhere), not a single one of them has ever discussed equipment, brand, optics, etc., etc. I'm finding this thread infinitely fascinating.

I own a Tilley hat only because the thing floats if it gets blown overboard on pelagics and can be retrieved! ;) Oh, and it's khaki-colored. ;);)

Ha Ha

mine says 'bone idle' - cool t shirts, trainers and bins with warped and mishapen rubber from a long time in hot places, usually no scope.....and er.....sunglasses today (well we were up at titchwell nursing hangovers after camping in a field nearby). Lots of new swarov scopes and bins there!

adios amigos

My old ones were covered with Mangoe stickers from travelling through Queensland. They're pretty little colorful brand labels. I gave that pair to a great birder friend in Iowa. Now, as strange as I appeared.....................He's advertising Auzzie mangoes in the American Heartland.

Adey Baker said:
Or what do you hope they say about you!

... ...

So any opinions - either serious or frivolous!

Adey
Well, now I've finally decided to leave my rubber lens covers on my Swaros, I just know what some folk think about me. But, heck - I can't afford another pair...

I'll probably be shot down in flames for saying this, and maybe being a little simplistic, but I think that basically us Brits in particular can be real equipment snobs.
Just look at the magazines.........it's not just birding but every sport/hobby. We are totally obsessed with equipment size, shape, weight, ergonomics, colour, brand etc. etc. and we let the manufacturers feed us all this tripe. Sure, kit yourself out with a decent set of optics and tripod but it really shouldn't need to cost you the earth.
I made do with a battered pair of brick-like east German Zeiss which I bought from Dixons for 80 quid for over 10 years and yes, like the comment below I saw a lot of very good birds through them and was perfectly happy. I only dumped them when they literally fell to pieces. I now use a pair of Nikon Sporters which I got for £120 and still use an old aluminium tripod which the legs keep falling off, but guess what........they all work absolutely fine and I'm seeing even more good birds with them!

Far better all this money be put into worthy conservation causes than spewed out the likes of Leica, Nikon, Swaro etc. Thats my opinion anyway :bounce:

wise words Mr Poyner

why not go sec hand too? Dont know what's up with some of the older gear - kowa and nikon scopes of quality to rival Leica and swarov can be had for a fraction of the 1400 quid a swarov scope can set you back. Saw a 100mm optolyth today at in focus - looked like a bazooka!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back