• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two pics of the same bird one dark lighting and one in bright lighting. (1 Viewer)

Danielbirdwatcher

Danielbirdwatcher
Z4omjLT.jpg

GXEhjNt.jpg

I would first assume this is a female painted bunting however she comes every

morning and never with a male so is it possible it isn't a female painted

bunting? Maybe a Scarlet Tanager?

Location, Summerville, South Carolina, USA
Time of picture, July 2020.

Please help. Many thanks in advance.

On the basis of the first shot, this looks like a very young bird, probably just fledged, note the yellow gape line?

Last edited:
Can only see the pics for about half a second until the imgur paywall kicks in and blocks them, but from the very brief view I think I'd agree with Painted Bunting female/juv.

It'd be much better if you could upload the pics in this thread directly, please :t:

Can only see the pics for about half a second until the imgur paywall kicks in and blocks them, but from the very brief view I think I'd agree with Painted Bunting female/juv.

It'd be much better if you could upload the pics in this thread directly, please :t:

I can see them with no paywall?

If you look just below the reply box at the bottom of the page, click on 'Go Advanced'. There you get the option 'Attach Files' (just below 'Miscellaneous Options'); click on 'Manage Attachments', and follow the details there :t:

Looks to be 2 separate birds... but both are Painted Buntings. The first is a young bird, just hatched this year and the second one(on the feeder) is a female.

Looks to be 2 separate birds... but both are Painted Buntings. The first is a young bird, just hatched this year and the second one(on the feeder) is a female.

I did think that as well but both seem to have the yellow gape, just harder to see in the brighter image.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back