• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seed id help please (1 Viewer)

h&p

Hi, a friend sent me this photo of a seed she collected on a recent visit to Norfolk. She says that it is from a plant trailing over a wall and that it was lunch time on Sunday!!! Not very usefull I'm afraid but maybe someone will recognise it. I've tried various books without any luck. Hope you can help, regards Pete

Attachments

• Peggy's seed.jpg
    Peggy's seed.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 128
I've now got some more info on the mystery seed. It was obtained from a plant hanging over a tall wall adjacent to the car park of The Ship at South Walsham, Norfolk. Now, if anyone happened to be nearby perhaps they could look properly or even put up a better picture. Thanks. By the way my friend is recovering from serious brain surgery so info from her is a bit slow as she tries to remember what she saw on her visit to Norfolk from the Forest of Dean. Regards Pete.
p.s. I've contacted the landlord and he is going to try for more info this afternoon.

Hi Matt, best idea so far, though I've not seen plant myself it does seem to be right, thanks. I'll post more when I know more. Pete

Looks a bit like the ripe fruiting carpel of a Garrya elyptica which is unusual though not impossible as the male plant is usually grown for the long staminoid catkins. This (if it proves to be the female) is not usually planted as the female fruiting catkins are shorter and less showy.

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back