• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID, London Ontario (1 Viewer)

mrmanning

Southern Ontario Birder
I found a spot near my house where there is a group of very tall pine trees, and I happened to look up today, and to my surprise, was a tree full of hawks. 5 in total. I have no idea what they are.

Can someone help me with the ID?

Attachments

• DSCN2078.jpg
    DSCN2078.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 112
Looks like a young Cooper's Hawk to me - thin streaking on the breast, relatively broad white band on the tail tip, etc. It also seems fairly large. Undoubtedly a family of em - lucky you to get to see them!!

Neil G.

I was thinking coopers but wasn't sure, thank you. I am going back to get more pictures. I can get so close to them and they don't even move, it is so cool.

Be careful, the adults can get a little nasty around nest sites.

Scott

Nothing will come close to the thrashing I got from some red winged blackbirds last weekend. I literally ran as fast as I could from these guys as they attacked my fly fishing rod, as I was too close to the nest. Thanks for the warning though!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back