• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Books for identification of European butterflies. (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Does anyone have any thoughts on Butterflies of Europe: A Photographic Guide ? I do find butterflies in Europe quite tricky. I've got the latest edition of the Collins guide, but I'm wondering if this would be useful as additional text?

Cheers

I can relate to this problem too, because I'm little bit disappointed in Collins Butterfly Guide - the textual side does leave you wanting more (especially the description part)... It wouldn't bother me if this information was put out as 'field mark' pointers in picture plates. But I feel that they are also heavily missing (lot of blank, unused space - and too much '... .... ... markings distictive' :-O).
Ok, sorry for this rant - I don't want to say that it's bad book (no - its very good), but it does fall just a bit short of perfection. Well I understand that I have such feelings probably because I'm (and maybe we all are) spoiled by the Collins Bird Guide which is perfect in almost every possible way o:)

Can't comment on guide you mentioned but I've also looked for alternative books/guides for additional info and so far I've read good reviews about 'Butterflies of Europe' by Tristan Lafranchis. Strongest advantage is that it contains identification keys which I find easier to work with. It seems rather expensive and not always available though (published in 2004, so must be out of print) so I haven't 'pulled the trigger' on it yet.

Last edited:
I've got lots of European butterfly books, but even though I normally prefer illustations I really rate the Tristan Lafranchis book as it has keys + the photos show you the diagnostic features between similar species.

Thanks for the advice. I will say the Tristan Lafranchis book is rather expensive. I should also say whoops; as this should have been posted in the butterfly/moth section. Yesterday was a hard day at work, so my brain wasn't working properly.

Hi Steve,

I would definitely recommend the Tristan Lafranchis guide, its well worth the money. The new 'Butterflies of Europe: A Photographic Guide' is also a useful addition as the key identification features are clearly marked on the photos so you know what to be looking for. It is also a good size for the pocket.

I would also suggest you take a look at this link:
http://www.butterflyeurope.co.uk/20001.html

Steve, the small Mitchel Beazley is surprisingy good and quite adequate in the field for virtually all species, including the tricky blues and fritillaries. I have Collins also, but almost never use it inthe field, more as a back-up when at home.

Hi Steve,

I would definitely recommend the Tristan Lafranchis guide, its well worth the money. The new 'Butterflies of Europe: A Photographic Guide' is also a useful addition as the key identification features are clearly marked on the photos so you know what to be looking for. It is also a good size for the pocket.

I would also suggest you take a look at this link:
http://www.butterflyeurope.co.uk/20001.html

If the Lafranchis guide the better of the two?

Jos, I'm quite keen on the Mitchell Beazley guides. Sadly, the European butterfly one is out of print but I'll keep an eye out for a second hand one.

Hi Steve!

If I had to choose between the two I would pick the Lafranchis book.

I also agree with Jos that the Mitchell Beazley guide is very good. Its well worth trying to get a copy of this to keep in the pocket or pack.

Cheers for the advice guys. Guess I better splash the cash on the Lafranchis book. I have found the MB guide, on Abe books, but it's over £30 and the recession is beginning to hit.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back