• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it or is it not a Cape Turtle? (1 Viewer)

Ralph Timmermann

Hello everybody,

summer is over, so I am back to my Kalahari pics :)

Is this a Cape Turtle or not? I am puzzled by the very pale contrast between body and wings, and also by the rather pale bill. Newman's Bird of Southern Africa as well as the pics I found on the internet suggest a black, or at least much darker bill. But what else could it be????

Picture taken in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, Auob Valley near Houmoed waterhole, 4th May 2013.

Thanks for sharing your view on this and best regards,
Ralph

Attachments

• RTE02609fvshe.jpg
    RTE02609fvshe.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 59
Yes. Sometimes called Ring-necked Dove (Streptopelia capicola), its dark eyes and blue-gray orbital skin distinguish it from the similar Red-eyed Dove and Mourning Collared-Dove. Bill looks horn colored to me which is fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back