• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

eye-piece projection results (1 Viewer)

bogert

Hello~
I use an Astro-tech 72ED telescope prime focus for my birding photography. The results are fantastic, perfect detail (when I get the focus right).
But I was wondering if I could get the same great results using eye-piece projection? I have a number of eye-pieces for normal astronomy observing. Before I buy the adapter for eye-piece projection I thought I'd see other peoples results.
Would using 2" eyepieces with a 2" adapter be better and eliminate vignetting? Or would 1 1/4" eye-pieces be okay?
Thanks for any help.
Chris

I've tried this with a lot of eyepieces and never got very good results. You need an eyepiece that will project a parallel image so that it falls flat as possible on the ccd. Most eyepieces project a conical image and so you get quite bluured images away from the center. You can get around this by moving the eyepiece further from the camera so that only the good part projects onto the ccd. The magnification increase from doing this is usually so great the it's unusable. My best results came from using good quality orthoscopic eyepieces as they project a fairly flat image. Some results I posted here.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=131907&highlight=projection

I mounted my eyepieces inside a macro tube rather than buying anything special for the job.

Paul.

I did tried using EP's between the focuser and camera without any other lenses but are not happy with result. A good quality EP may produce better IQ but costly. Telenegative are cheap yet produce better results.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back