• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

revivingKensArt (1 Viewer)

I can't believe how long it's been since I commented on this thread Ken, I'm guilty of watching and wondering and staying quiet I'm afraid.

The wren is my favourite of all the latest work, I love the simplicity.

Mike

I can't believe how long it's been since I commented on this thread Ken, I'm guilty of watching and wondering and staying quiet I'm afraid.

The wren is my favourite of all the latest work, I love the simplicity.

Mike

Thanks all. Mike, I confess, that every once in a while I prefer the simple ones myself. As you can probably guess by now I'm quite torn between simplicity and complexity.

As for the technical complexities of reduction lino I'm not at all a techincal person and have no patience for it. But I like the surprises that lino always throws up at me, especially with reduction linocut. So that's really my main reason for doing it. I'm really not a masochist!! (Though I should add that reduction lino is also called 'suicide printing,' because you sort of kill off each previous color as you go off to the next one). In any case I just do it because I like the results, not for any technical challenges.

Sketching outside recently as well as reading a number of books with artists who stressed field sketching has made me realize how much more there is to learn about the structure of birds. So here are a couple of pages of recent field sketches as well as some sketches based on photos I've taken.

A couple of white-throated sparrows with a Great Blue Heron field sketch, followed by a Great Blue Heron, just 6 feet away from me today walking through a swampy woods. Very odd to see them walking. I tried to capture the weird gait.

Sketches from photos are two Eastern Phoebes, followed by a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, which just seem impossible for me to capture when I see them live as well as a Cedar Waxwing. I never have time to study their bill and facial markings in field so that's pretty much what I tried to get here.

Attachments

• wtSparrowFS012013.jpg
    wtSparrowFS012013.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 39
  • greatBlueHeronInWoodsFS0120.jpg
    greatBlueHeronInWoodsFS0120.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 38
  • ePhoebeSketch012013.jpg
    ePhoebeSketch012013.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 35
  • waxwingGnatcatcherSketch012.jpg
    waxwingGnatcatcherSketch012.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 45
Adding another ballpoint pen sketch from a photo, one of the many Great Blue Herons that I've seen around here over the last year or two. This one was standing on a fallen beech along the Wissahickon, a nearby stream that I walk frequently.

Attachments

• greatBlueHeronOnBeechSketch.jpg
    greatBlueHeronOnBeechSketch.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 53
Hi Ken...Enjoying Your work as always..!..You keep fine-tunning the balance between stylization and naturalism with beautiful results..
Wonderful Sketches .............

A fine bit of contrast on the pen work ken and great field studies. It is something Im going to have a real go at this year. My speed drawing has improved vastly but my memory is that of a 90 year old. Sleeping birds it may be then :-O

Only a tiny bit of artistic liberty here in putting these six Northern Flickers on two trees rather than three. As fas as I can tell they were sunbathing in the 25 degree weather.

Attachments

• sixSunningFlickersWC012613.jpg
    sixSunningFlickersWC012613.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 53
Only a tiny bit of artistic liberty here in putting these six Northern Flickers on two trees rather than three. As fas as I can tell they were sunbathing in the 25 degree weather.

brilliant- bang in the "a thing observed" tradition

reminds me a lot of pics of emerging dragonflies on reed stems

reminds me a lot of pics of emerging dragonflies on reed stems

I think you hit the nail on the head there Ed! And most likely they were doing it exactly for the same purpose: to warm up.

Not much in the way of field sketching today but here's day two of a larger watercolor of Song Sparrow on oakleaf in stream, based wholly on a photo I took last fall I think.

I continue to dabble with watercolor and rarely move beyond 9x12 inch paper. But this time I decided to be bold and go all the way up to 11x14 inch. I think I'll probably progess in this most difficult of media for me if I keep workng larger when I actually decide to work in watercolor. Despite my best intentions most of the white has disappeared as well as most of the individual brushstrokes I hoped to use.

Attachments

• songSparrowOakleafWC013013.jpg
    songSparrowOakleafWC013013.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 53
Some more winter birds: a study of Killdeer with Great Blue Heron in background, the earliest I've ever seen Killeer here, and a couple of Chipping Sparrows, which should not be here at this time of year but have been regulars in one area for the last two winters. The Killdeer is a small, quick study. The Chipping Sparrows is 12x12 inches.

Attachments

• chippersAtAndorraWC020613.jpg
    chippersAtAndorraWC020613.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 51
  • killdeerGreatBlueHeronWC021.jpg
    killdeerGreatBlueHeronWC021.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 41
Thanks Alan and Arthur.

Here's what I think is the final version of a more developed watercolor of the Killdeer and Great Blue Heron in the snow that I saw recently. There are things I can think to change in it but at this point I think that only makes sense in a new work. I'd best leave this one be.

Attachments

• killdeerHeronSnowWC021413.jpg
    killdeerHeronSnowWC021413.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 37
Thanks all. Not much snow here John but just enough to make that Killdeer look unusual!

The last four days were part of the Great Backyard Bird Count here, a mainly North American phenomenon I think but one that branched out globally this year. In any case I was out birding each day, and still recovering from yesterday's 5 hour walk.

For each day I did a small sketch of some sort to illustrate the day on my blog. Here are the three best: Merlin and Belted Kingfisher in same tree, Pied-billed Grebes, Common Mergansers and Black Vulture at Manayunk Canal, and my first Green-winged Teal of the year at Tinicum yesterday. All are quickly done, about 30 minutes or so.

Attachments

• merlinKingfisherWC021613.jpg
    merlinKingfisherWC021613.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 39
  • mergansersGrebesBVWC021513.jpg
    mergansersGrebesBVWC021513.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 30
  • greenWingedTealWC021913.jpg
    greenWingedTealWC021913.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 33
Anyone who's followed my thread closely knows how exciting it is for me when spring and warblers roll around. It's been a constant quest to do them justice.

But back in early December I saw a warbler that shouldn't have been here at all. I did a quick watercolor and posted it without IDing. It was a Magnolia, which had no right at all to be here at this date.

Today my wife Jerene screamed out: GET DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW! That's not her usual tone. When I went down I found a warbler I couldn't ID. But whatever it was it shouldn't be here. It flitted about very quickly and allowed for two bad photos and a few good looks in binos, but only for a split second. This 5x7 watercolor is based on one of the photos, along with what I noticed through binoculars: a Nashville Warbler, with brilliant yellow underside.

There was a big storm recently from the west and I've read that they migrate up the Mississippi not along the Atlantic Coast. Maybe that blew him over here. Who knows but he was a great surprise.

Attachments

• nashvilleWarblerWC022413.jpg
    nashvilleWarblerWC022413.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Just found out that the Nashville Warbler above set some sort of record for local birds. Just wish I'd done a better version. Maybe soon.

In the meantime here's three new, or reworked, watercolors for a group show that starts on Sunday, and will surely sell nothing! Still it gives me the incentive to try something new.

The Killdeer and Great Blue Heron was composed from two birds I'd seen in near proximity in the snow. Cape May Warbler is almost entirely from a photo and the Northern Shovelers pretty much the same. Cape May was seen a few springs ago at Magee Marsh in Ohio and the Shovelers at Brigantine last fall.

Attachments

• northernShovelersV2WC022813.jpg
    northernShovelersV2WC022813.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 24
  • killdeerHeronSnowWC030113.jpg
    killdeerHeronSnowWC030113.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 33
  • capeMayWarblerWC022613.jpg
    capeMayWarblerWC022613.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 24
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back