• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Pigeon behaviour? (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
This Wood Pigeon has been coming to this laurel bush on and off like this for a week now, usually sitting in almost the exact same spot.

There's nothing to eat, it's not taking nest material and I really doubt that it prospecting for or even building a nest. It will spend several minutes in the bush, fly up to the roof and then back to the bush.

just can't figure out what it's up to?

Apologies for the heavy breathing in the vid, I was a bit too close to the cam!

https://youtu.be/BRlTRgVKv7k

Andy

Last edited:
Feeding on laurel berries.

Frames in the first 15 seconds show the berries.

Time to get in the hedge for a look!

Best wishes,

I can't see any berries?

In fact, Ive never noted any berries on this bush in 17 years! Time to get my eyes tested again then...............

Thanks Samandag

Last edited:
Although P. laurocerasus is toxic to humans!

[pedant hat on 3:)] Actually, the fruit pulp is edible (though rather bitter), it's just the kernel inside the stone that is toxic. But unlike other cherries, the shell surrounding the toxic kernel is rather soft, so the risk of accidentally chewing open the kernel and eating the toxin is much higher than with normal cherries.

Woodpigeons are better than humans at detoxifying a lot of plant toxins.

[pedant hat on 3:)] Actually, the fruit pulp is edible (though rather bitter), it's just the kernel inside the stone that is toxic. But unlike other cherries, the shell surrounding the toxic kernel is rather soft, so the risk of accidentally chewing open the kernel and eating the toxin is much higher than with normal cherries.

Woodpigeons are better than humans at detoxifying a lot of plant toxins.

Donning my hat the leaves can be posonous too! Apparently there are cases where they have been confused with the other Laurel and used in cooking as Bay leaves. More info here I only know this because they have some Cherry Laurels at a local garden centre which are in flower and unbelievable 'bee magnets' and was researching before I bought one!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back