• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shearwaters/Petrel, UK (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Shearwaters in Porthgwarra from the weekend, I think all of them are Balearic?

I have too many individuals (should be always the same bird if multiple shots are in one picture) so I have to spread over two posts. The second post then also contains the presumable Leech's from Mousehole. Is this IDable? Even some people in the field thought that probably it is, despite the terrible distance.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 219
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 166
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 133
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 149
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 211
Yes, all appear to be Balearic and illustrate the extreme variability in underpart colouration. Also looks good for Leach's despite the grainy pics.

I have absolutely no idea what happened, the pictures were just removed from the post without my action.

Here is the Leach's at least for future reference, the others were boring Balearics by any account.

Attachments

• leech.jpg
    leech.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 170
I have absolutely no idea what happened, the pictures were just removed from the post without my action.

Here is the Leach's at least for future reference, the others were boring Balearics by any account.

Until a decade or two ago, Balearics were decidely more exciting than Manx at any time of year. Only been a recent phenonomen in SW waters in any numbers, and still pretty unusual anywhere else offshore than the South West.

Until a decade or two ago, Balearics were decidely more exciting than Manx at any time of year. Only been a recent phenonomen in SW waters in any numbers, and still pretty unusual anywhere else offshore than the South West.

I meant it just from our perspective, we already had Balearics from ... the sea not far from the Balearic islands :)

Why isn't the first set of shearwater photos Sooty? Pale area on the undersides seems to be restricted to the upper breast.

As much as I would love to find a Sooty for my WP list, I must say that I have found pictures showing that No. 1 is visibly smaller than Kittiwakes, which seems to exclude Sooty completely.

For bird #4 I found some more pictures that seem to be of the same bird. No size comparison available there.

Attachments

• IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2097.JPG
    IMG_2097.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2109.JPG
    IMG_2109.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 13
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back