Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bald Eagle Viewing at Shepaug, CT

Old Friday 17th February 2006, 23:02   #1
falcon34

Bald Eagle Viewing at Shepaug, CT

Hi.

Has anyone been to the Shepaug, Connecticut eagle observatory? I was hoping to go there to photograph some bald eagles, but I'm not sure how close we will be to them. I have a 300mm zoon lens... will that be long enough to get some decent pictures?

Thanks for the help...

Ray
falcon34
Old Saturday 18th February 2006, 13:30   #2
streatham

Hi Ray,

In my opinion Shepaug is worth a try but can be hit or miss. There are eagles at my local reservoir but you may not see them all the time when they are there even if they are perched up as they get lost in the conifers (in fact there is probably an Eagle on most large reservoirs or hanging round on most large rivers in CT or NY at this time of year). Caswell Cove in Milford CT can be very good at this time of year for Eagles but again you can go and see none - and if you do they tend to be across the river and impossible to photograph. Good luck with your search I would consider the eagle festval in CT if I was you or just keep popping back to Croton when you have free time - however they will soon be getting harder to find as they begin to head north again.

Luke
Old Saturday 18th February 2006, 14:45   #3
falcon34

Thanks for the advice, Luke. I will give Shepaug a try. I am also considering taking one of the eagle cruises offered in Essex, CT. Are you familiar with those?

Thanks again.

Ray
falcon34
Old Saturday 18th February 2006, 22:51   #4
streatham

Hi Ray,

I've never done the Cruise but I know some of the people who do the guiding on the boats. You are definitely going to connect with Eagles on those trips - if you are lucky you might get a Golden in with them. I will post later what might friends saw whilst they were up there.

Luke
Old Monday 20th February 2006, 02:34   #5
falcon34

That's great news, Luke. I'm looking forward to getting up to Essex soon.

Thanks.

Ray
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: