• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tricolored Blackbird? - Marin County, California (1 Viewer)

Natalie

Learning Birder
I saw a few of these birds in a dense patch of cattails at a wildlife refuge yesterday, and I think they might be Tricolored Blackbirds. Most of the books I have say that these birds are either completely absent from this area or present only in the winter. They were very dark in color overall, much darker than the female Red-Winged Blackbirds I'm used to seeing. They didn't have very distinct facial markings, but the tan throat and the speckles on the belly stood out.

Sorry for the quality of the photos... The lighting was very harsh and almost directly overhead, so it was impossible to get a halfway decent photo. Also, the last photo is of something I'm pretty certain is a yuck duck, but since it was at a wildlife preserve I just want to get a confirmation on that.

Attachments

• blackbird1.JPG
    blackbird1.JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 106
  • blackbird2b.JPG
    blackbird2b.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 90
  • blackbird3.JPG
    blackbird3.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 93
  • duck3.JPG
    duck3.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 85
They look good for Tricolored to me but I don't know if it is possible to positively ID them based on these photos because bicolored Red-winged Blackbirds look pretty similar. The duck has some (mostly) Mallard ancestry.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still not sure, but these birds definitely stood out from the female blackbirds I normally see. Female Red-Winged (Bicolored) Blackbirds almost always tend to have high-contrast eyebrows, like this. That's the main thing that struck me as odd with these birds, was the lack of eyebrows. When I first caught a glimpse of them deep within the reeds, I thought they were some very confused Fox Sparrows.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back