Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

to tick or not to tick?

Old Sunday 29th February 2004, 19:43   #1
Surreybirder
Ken Noble

to tick or not to tick?

that is the question.
On 14.9.1994 I saw a pale grey-coloured small skua flying N in a strong wind off St Mary's Island, Newcastle.
I never ticked it as a long-tailed skua (which would be a lifer for me) as I felt I couldn't eliminate 1st summer artic skua.
However, Michael Frankis tells me:
Quote:
there were 23 [long-taileds] N at St Mary's on that day, all juvs, the biggest passage of the year (also 39 juv Arctics N as well, but they wouldn't be cold grey)
I feel inclined to award myself a tick after 10 years. What would others do?
Ken
Old Sunday 29th February 2004, 19:51   #2
IanF

I can empathize your quandary as I have been in a similar position on numerous occasions, but nowadays I'm quite rigid in that I won't include a bird as a tick unless I'm 100% satisfied myself as to it's identity. In these circumstances whilst I value Michael's opinion very highly, the fact they were seen passing at the right time period wouldn't be enough for me. Now if I had Michael stood beside me when I saw it and he confirmed the ID then that would be a different matter!

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 29th February 2004, 21:42   #3
Tom Moodie

Sorry Surreybirder but I have to agree with IanF on this one, especially for a life tick. LT Skua was a bogey bird for me for a number of years until 2002. Keep seawatching and I'm sure you'll see.

Good luck
Tom
Old Sunday 29th February 2004, 22:17   #4
Edward woodwood

if you have notes and a description.....u can tick it
if not.....
Old Monday 1st March 2004, 03:34   #5
Charles Harper
Régisseur

Tick it! Tick it! You did see a L-T Jaeger, and you ain't getting any younger.

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 1st March 2004, 06:55   #6
Surreybirder
Ken Noble

Looks as if it remains a bogey bird.
It was one of those occasions where, by the time I had established it was a skua (white wing flashes primarily) and got its general colour it was too late to start looking for ventral barring etc.
If only a nice adult in breeding plumage would pass me by. It goes without saying that LTSs are rare in Surrey.
Old Monday 1st March 2004, 07:36   #7
Sven W

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF
Now if I had Michael stood beside me when I saw it and he confirmed the ID then that would be a different matter!
Personaly, I wouldn't tick it unless I was certain beyond resonable doubt based on my own observations. For lifers I take others ids as indications only. Needless to say, this approach has cost me a number of lifers, but it is a pleasure saved for later occasions.

On the other hand, I know many who doesn't have this rigid approach. They can't possibly get the same enjoyment from a new lifer.
Old Monday 1st March 2004, 13:20   #8
Fulmar

The same for me, I only tick when I am really convinced that I am correct (although mistakes are made by everybody). Other people can be a (great) help to point at some species and explain why it is that species, but I still want to see the features myself. It happened already at least two times that someone, who I regarded as an expert, pointed out a possible new lifer, but when I later looked at the photo I made, it showed that it was a different species!

Peter
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: