• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baglafecht Weaver - Ethiopia October 2019 (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

Back home after a month in Ethiopia and I have many pictures to go through. Attached pictures was identified as a Baglafecht Weaver. Spotted when I was looking at vultures at Ethio-German Park Hotel, Debre Libanos (2 hours north of Addis Ababa)

Now looking at the pictures and I see that the birds have 3 different colours on top of their head.
1) Yellow top and black around the eyes - Breading Male Picture #1
2) Green top - Female Picture #2+3
3) Orange top and black around the eyes - Breading Male Picture #4+5

All bird together in the same tree/ bush

The orange top fitts with the description of the subspecies Emin's weaver (P. b. emini) - (Hartlaub, 1882): Found in south-eastern South Sudan, south-western Ethiopia and northern Uganda

Range don't fit for the P. b. emini

Anyone here that can be so kind to tell me if I am right, especially with the subspecies emini

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• Weaver--Yellow-head.jpg
    Weaver--Yellow-head.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Weaver-Green-head.jpg
    Weaver-Green-head.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Weaver-Green-head2.jpg
    Weaver-Green-head2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Weaver-Orangehead.jpg
    Weaver-Orangehead.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Waever-Orange-head.jpg
    Waever-Orange-head.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 9
I can't see white bellies so not emini which is also, black on the back of the head.

All nominate for me.

Last edited:
I can't see white bellies so not emini which is also, black on the back of the head.

All nominate for me.

Thank you AGAIN andyadcock!

Well well well, what do you know? How could I miss the white belly, and all the three birds are sitting next to each other in the book! My birds have grey belly and I will go for males and females.

Thank you again!

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back