Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
ZEISS Summer Savings - Experience unique moments of nature. Save up to £250 on selected ZEISS Binoculars - limited time only!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Very odd bird behavior

Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 22:19   #1
Christophy

Talking Very odd bird behavior

Standing outside having a smoke and a little bird flew and landed on my head. I tried to shake him off but it appeared to need me for something. So I fed him some corn chips and now he is my BFF. Every time I go outside, within a few minutes he lands on my shoulder. I did notice that when he eats he scraps his beak against the sidewalk, not sure what that means.

The bird on my head

The bird being cute

The bird eating cornchips

Is it normal for a wild bird to just become friends with a human?

Last edited by Christophy : Wednesday 14th August 2019 at 22:24.
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 22:54   #2
fugl
BF Supporter 2019

It’s a House Sparrow, maybe a young one, the tameness probably coming from it having been hand-raised somewhere nearby. House Sparrows normally shelter in thick vegetation and that may explain its attraction to your hair.. And, of course, everybody likes corn chips. . ..

In any case, lucky you to have the companionship of the little critter.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 15th August 2019, 01:41   #3
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

House sparrow for me as well and her's a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BF

Enjoy!

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 23rd August 2019, 15:27   #4
Kakapo Chris
Kakapo Chris

A moonwalking crow

I was siting by the birch tree in my garden and I noticed a crow doing what looked suspiciously like the Michael Jackson moonwalk. I was obviously shocked so I moved in closer to get a better look, almost as if in reply to my intrusion on its personal space the crow turned its back on me and defecated in my vicinity before flying up to the top of the birch. Has anyone seen this behaviour before in crows? Im desperate to know if anything like this has been documented:
Old Friday 23rd August 2019, 15:41   #5
Peter the Partridge
Registered Member

Well strangely enough I was listening on my porch to a 1960s era recording of Rule Britannia and I spotted from the corner of my eye what appeared to be a common chaffinch (female and I deduce about 2 years of age from its prominent stance) and it starting jouncing in time to the beat, rather than defecating it intact left me with the rather sweet gesture of a wing flutter and two 180 twirls. Mystifying but I guess there is so much still to be and so much we shall never know about avian society
Old Friday 23rd August 2019, 19:46   #6
Hauksen

Hi Peter,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Partridge View Post
it intact left me with the rather sweet gesture of a wing flutter and two 180 twirls. Mystifying but I guess there is so much still to be and so much we shall never know about avian society
There seem to be videos online of parrots dancing to music, and the twirls are known from the crane's mating dance ... maybe every bird actually appreciates music and dance? I can't imagine much research has been done in this area yet :-)

Regards,

Henning
Old Friday 23rd August 2019, 20:01   #7
Hauksen

Hi Christophy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophy View Post
Is it normal for a wild bird to just become friends with a human?
In Germany, House Sparrows, if treated friendly, can get used to humans very quickly. I've stood outside Berlin central station, and there were sparrows hovering near everyone who left the building with a sandwich or a donut in his hand. Clearly, the sparrows were expecting to be fed, and a lot of people happily complied - as the sparrows knew from experience.

I've read that House Sparrows are quite capable at recognizing faces, though the article I read focused more on how good they are to recognize humans who are a threat to them. Still, I'm sure they can use this just as successfully to recognize their friends! :-)

Regards,

Henning
Old Sunday 25th August 2019, 13:44   #8
kennethwfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauksen View Post
Hi Peter,

There seem to be videos online of parrots dancing to music, and the twirls are known from the crane's mating dance ... maybe every bird actually appreciates music and dance? I can't imagine much research has been done in this area yet :-)

Regards,

Henning
Reminds me of Gerald Durrel's pigeon in My Family and other animals which apparently could distinguish between different time signiatures such as 3/4 and 4/4.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: