• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Sapphire ED 8x20 (1 Viewer)

typo

Tried out Hawkes copy of the Swarovski 8x20 today. Apart from a marginally stiffer focus, I'd be hard pushed to call a difference between them on view and build. Very good indeed. Even at half the price of the Swaro (£220) it's hardly a budget offering, but head and shoulders above any other non alpha compacts I've tried. Well worth a look.

David

Last edited:
You're right. I just assumed they were 8x20s as they were so much smaller than the frontier PC for example. Helps explain how bright they were for the fairly gloomy conditions.

Unfortunately I can't edit the title now. A little embarrassing.

David

David, I read your thoughts on the Sapphire 8x25 in your other, "Bird Fiar", thread too. In another thread (on compacts) I posted on July 7th: "I've been combing the internet for independent comments on the Hawke Sapphire compacts and found none." Could you please tell me: How does the barrel projection beyond the obj. lens in the 8x and 10x Sapphire compacts (I expect it's the same in both) compare with that of the Leica Ultravid 10x25 and of the Swarovski 10x25? The differences may be tiny but matter to me for a reason (a rather quirky one) - a visual and comparative (more/less) estimate will do fine. Also: eye relief, for those of us who wear glasses? Thanks!

Last edited:
I can't say I made a note about barrel projection, though it looks minimal from these images.
http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Hawke_8x25_Sapphire_ED_Compact_Binoculars

Seem to recall that the lenses were recessed on the Ultravid though. Although it was cloudy I did take the pair outside the marquee to see if I could spot any flare and didn't, but couldn't guarantee that there wouldn't be when the sun was out. Hard pushed to spot any CA as well.

I can't find a spec for the ER, but I'd guess a mm or so more than the Swaro. Maybe 14-15mm. Comfortable with my glasses at least.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back