• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Objective Lens Covers (1 Viewer)

humakt

Hopefully someone can help.
I need a replacement objective lens cover.
Ideally hinged or tethered.
Including the casing, it needs to go over a diameter of 95mm (80mm objective lens plus the thickness of the casing).

The official replacement costs £48! So I'm hopeful someone, somewhere, does a generic replacement for a fraction of that.
It would also be good if it was from a UK retailer/website.

I did have a Google but the biggest I came up with was 65mm. Surely someone must do a bigger replacement.

Cheers for your help, and merry Christmas.

Hi,

I need a replacement objective lens cover.
Ideally hinged or tethered.
Including the casing, it needs to go over a diameter of 95mm (80mm objective lens plus the thickness of the casing).

Well, I've designed this parametric 3D-printable lens cap:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2805027

If you're technically minded, you can use OpenSCAD to change the parameters of the cap to fit your application and either 3D print it yourself or order it from a commercial 3D printing service.

I just scaled up my eyepiece cap shown in the picture to a 95 mm inner diameter, and meltwerk.com asks 14.75 EUR excl. shipping for that cap. (They only print in white Nylon. The red lenscap in the linked picture is from shapeways - they deliver great quality, but are somewhat more expensive than meltwerk.)

However, it's important to get the dimensions exactly right when you take this route, as the cap has no adjustment capability.

Regards,

Henning

I print my caps about 0.5mm oversize to avoid any slight printing errors and to enable a snug fit to be obtained with a little bit of duct tape. Easy enough to add a loop to the caps to attach a restraint to. Would be interesting to print in a flexible material that could flex a bit to give a snug fit, pity I only normally run with PLA.
That’s a very interesting looking product, seems to have come from Kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kuvrd/kuvrd-universal-lens-cap

Peter

Hi Peter,

Would be interesting to print in a flexible material that could flex a bit to give a snug fit, pity I only normally run with PLA.

Me too :) However, I have a printer with a Bowden extruder, which isn't really suited for flexible filaments. If you ever try it, I'd be interested to hear of your results since the more I learn about 3D printing, the more attractive the ability to print in different materials appears! :)

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back