• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short tripod for Kowa 773 (1 Viewer)

Fishinak

He’ll all! I’ve tried asking this in the hunting forums w little support. I’ve quickly realized that YOU FOLKS are the authority on all things optics!

I think I’ve finally decided on a spotter. Thanks to my researching THIS forum....likely the Kowa 773.

But now I need a tripod and head. I can’t believe how many tripods there are! This is as tough a decision as choosing the spotter.

I will only be using it for the spotter (not binos) and 99% of the time will be using it very low to the ground.

I know heavier pods are more stable. But I’d like to keep this pretty light. Especially since I’ll be using it low to the ground and cause I’m splurging for a bit heavier glass. I’m hoping I can add a hook or jerry rig a way to weight it (any ideas on that?).

So what’s the best tripod/head combo per ounce and dollar?

Thank you so much!

Sorry not sure why all the wierd typos got added...I’ll try again.

I think I’ve finally decided on a spotter. ....likely the Kowa 773.

But now I need a tripod and head. I can’t believe how many tripods there are! This is as tough a decision as choosing the spotter.

I will only be using it for the spotter (not binos) and 99% of the time will be using it very low to the ground.

I know heavier pods are more stable. But I’d like to keep this pretty light. Especially since I’ll be using it low to the ground and cause I’m splurging for a bit heavier glass. I’m hoping I can add a hook or jerry rig a way to weight it (any ideas on that?).

So what’s the best tripod/head combo per ounce and dollar?

Thank you so much!

Hmm sorry about the weird characters.

No. Won’t be used to much for target shooting. Mostly used for scoping animals and landscapes on backcountry hunts.

Thanks again for any help, tips, advice, or suggestions.

Hmmmm, not sure this is the right forum as its for birdwatchers, wildlife enthusiasts and generally the conservation of nature, not hunters.
Maybe go back to the hunting forums or stores.

Last edited:
It would be our pleasure to work with you on both the spotter as well astripod.

Your timing is perfect as we just announced a great deal on a fabulous tripod. Please give us a call to the spotter with tripod

Just Arrived:

ProMaster Guide GD525CK Professional CF Tripod Kit With Head - Limited Edition #2194
only $279.99
, however, as a forum member you get an even better price, give a call. 516-217-1000
2194.jpg

The PROMASTER GUIDE GD525 Carbon Fiber Tripod Kit is a terrific, lightweight support for general purpose photography with DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras. At just 13 3/4" long when fully collapsed and weighing-in at less than 3 lbs, this high packable unit can be taken just about anywhere. Slide it into your backpack or luggage for travel. Rely on its excellent load capacity for steady shots. Use the Guide's dovetail QR ball head (arca-swiss compatible) with a variety of plates, brackets, and accessories, from ProMaster and others, for flexibility with many types and styles of photography. A short, ground-level column (included) can be used to replace the standard 2-stage column for low angles and macro work. Multiple leg angles help you tame uneven terrain and achieve unique compositions. Finally, a retractable weight hook lets you add more stability when needed. Whatever type of photography you may love, the ProMaster Guide will take your camera and your work to new heights.

KIT SPECIFICATIONS
Maximum Working Height: 62 1/4" / 158.1 cm
Maximum Height with column down: 47 1/4" / 120 cm
Minimum Working Height: 8 3/8" / 21.3 cm
Folded Length: 13 3/4" / 35 cm
Maximum Load: 17 1/2 lbs / 8 kg
Weight: 2 lbs 8 5/8 oz / 1.15 kg

BALL HEAD SPECIFICATIONS:
Height: 3" / 7.6 cm
Weight: 8 3/8 oz / 0.24 kg

TRIPOD LEG SPECIFICATIONS:
Maximum Working Height: 59 1/4" / 150.5 cm
Maximum Working Height with column down: 44 1/4" / 112.3 cm
Minimum Working Height: 5 3/8" / 13.7 cm
Folded Length: 13 3/4" / 35 cm
Weight: 2 lbs 1/4 oz / 0.91 kg

Thanks Pyrtle-

I respect your opinion and am not going to engage in a schoolyard argument.
However, just for your own sake I wanted to point out that birdwatching, conservation, and hunting are not mutually exclusive.
In fact, I am very conservation minded, I do enjoy bird watching (in fact my undergrad research project was in the natal dispersal of the red bellied woodpecker), and my family and I spend the vast majority of our free time backpacking and enjoying nature.
But yes, another hobby I enjoy is backpack hunting. And a tripod is a tool for that hobby. So I came to the forum with the optics experts.

I’m not going to turn this thread into what it wasn’t intended. I just wanted to make you aware that “hunters” may not always fit the stereotype you created in your head.
...thanks for the warm welcome Pyrtle.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back