• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact spotter under $400 (1 Viewer)

Regards the kowa tsn-501 what's the realistic magnification maximum given its 50mm. I am inexperienced but thought 30x was reasonable for 50mm or can it make use of the top of end of its zoom aka 40x?

Regards the kowa tsn-501 what's the realistic magnification maximum given its 50mm. I am inexperienced but thought 30x was reasonable for 50mm or can it make use of the top of end of its zoom aka 40x?
Not sure what you mean by realistic magnification.......its x20 to x40, so at it's maximum you're going to get a darker, narrower image than at x20. A " comfortable" image would be anything from x20 to x25 for me.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by realistic magnification........

Well I don't see many of the high end brands trying to go as high as 40 so my assumption is it wasn't realistically useful. For example I peered through some 20-60 x 60mm mid level scopes and the 60x was not just uncomfortable, it was a waste of time. That is what I was referring to.

Last edited:
Well I don't see many of the high end brands trying to go as high as 40 so my assumption is it wasn't realistically useful. For example I peered through some 20-60 x 60mm mid level scopes and the 60x was not just uncomfortable, it was a waste of time. That is what I was referring to.

Some of the " high end brands" perform brilliantly at x40 and above but it's all down to........you get what you pay for.
A $300 50mm scope just isn't going to perform like a $3500 scope.

Regards, P

Last edited:
If the scope is "perfect" and there are no atmospheric limitations you can easily calculate the magnification required to make its line pair resolution just large enough to become barely visible to an observer with a given eyesight acuity.

Divide 115 by the scope's aperture in millimeters. Then divide the observer's acuity by the result. For a 50mm scope and an observer with 20/20 line pair acuity (120") that would be about 52x. I find in the real world the smallest line pairs are much easier for the eye to resolve when they are a bit larger than barely visible, so I would say 60x would be a bit better for that observer to easily discern the smallest details.

Also in the real world many people have better than 20/20 acuity and most telescopes are not "perfect" and the air is seldom perfectly steady, but I would start with that calculation and modify it to match reality. Personally I wouldn't consider any scope, no matter how inexpensive, with arc second resolution much worse than 140/D (where D is the aperture in mm) and I wouldn't consider a really expensive scope with resolution worse than about 120/D. Unfortunately, to add to the variables there is considerable sample variation among scopes specimens, so one unit may be worse than 140/D and another unit of the same model may be 120/D. To paraphrase PYRTLE......you should get what you pay for (but don't count on it.)

Henry

Last edited:
Some of the " high end brands" perform brilliantly at x40 and above but it's all down to........you get what you pay for.
A $300 50mm scope just isn't going to perform like a $3500 scope.

Regards, P

Cheers, so possibly no for the $350 scope I am thinking. My eyesight isn't perfect either.

Last edited:
If the scope is "perfect" and there are no atmospheric limitations you can easily calculate the magnification required to make its line pair resolution just large enough to become barely visible to an observer with a given eyesight acuity.

Divide 115 by the scope's aperture in millimeters. Then divide the observer's acuity by the result. For a 50mm scope and an observer with 20/20 line pair acuity (120") that would be about 52x. I find in the real world the smallest line pairs are much easier for the eye to resolve when they are a bit larger than barely visible, so I would say 60x would be a bit better for that observer to easily discern the smallest details.

Also in the real world many people have better than 20/20 acuity and most telescopes are not "perfect" and the air is seldom perfectly steady, but I would start with that calculation and modify it to match reality. Personally I wouldn't consider any scope, no matter how inexpensive, with arc second resolution much worse than 140/D (where D is the aperture in mm) and I wouldn't consider a really expensive scope with resolution worse than about 120/D. Unfortunately, to add to the variables there is considerable sample variation among scopes specimens, so one unit may be worse than 140/D and another unit of the same model may be 120/D. To paraphrase PYRTLE......you should get what you pay for (but don't count on it.)

Henry

Thanks Henry.

Another question I have always wanted to ask was say in equatorial tropics with temps 90F +, humidity, or heat mirage etc would the case that a very good spotting scope still helps with this?

Or is it a case these conditions negate a lot of the advantage in a good scope and tend to equalize the options?

Really bad air turbulence totally obliterates detail for any scope, but in milder cases of turbulence better optics do help. That's because external turbulence and optical aberrations have similar and additive bad effects on resolution.

For instance, if unsteady air that would decrease the resolution of a perfect scope from 115/D to 140/D is combined with a scope with aberrations that already reduce its resolution under perfect conditions to 140/D then the final image will have effective resolution of only about 165/D. I've seen this effect a number of times when a mediocre scope and a really good one are set up next to each other under less than ideal conditions. Neither is resolving detail as well as it would under perfect conditions, but the better scope still outresolves the lesser one.

Henry

Last edited:
Thanks Henry I have the issue of being in such a region and also remote enough I can't walk into a store and test a bunch of scopes side by side. I might just grab a new Pentax 65EdII and be done with it. Ticks quite a few boxes.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back