Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Least memorable new bird

Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 20:37   #26
dantheman
Bah humbug

Can't remember tbh.
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 21:05   #27
Farnboro John

I've just laughed my way down this thread.... I entirely endorse Caspian Gull - but mine was the Eel Pie Island adult which was actually quite elegant; Blyth's Reed Warbler IS the most boring rarity/scarcity on the British List but I remember mine as being the day we moved offices city to city and I couldn't move till I'd handed my keys over - no pressure..... a two-second view of Chimney Swift in flight at St Andrews was possibly the crappiest view I ever ticked a bird on. But the trouble is I remember all of these so clearly!

I'm going to go for Bonaparte's Gull. It was on Drift Reservoir, it was distant in the scope, the weather was overcast and cold (that's my principal memory, the discomfort: that's why the bird counts as least memorable.)

Too much analysis, I know. Not only that, I've just remembered that was my 300th bird. Memorable!

I love twitching. There's nothing like it. They're all good.

John
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 21:13   #28
Paul Longland

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Hideous things.
couldn't agree more. had the most amazing fish n chips at Bridlington once until the locals decided to mob me for them. OH had an ice cream stolen from her hand by a dive bombing Herring gull at polperro in cornwall.

Apart from their despicable behaviour they are soooo dull. Never could understand why some people spend all their time scanning landfill sites for the buggers.

Why bother driving miles for tick when there are so many beautiful birds in my back yard. if a mega gull happened to pass by while out fine, but I would never go looking for one
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 21:19   #29
Paul Longland

Gulls aside, I think the notts melodious warbler (2014 I think). spent three hours listening to it singing away at the bottom of scrub withouit a single view until it finally broke cove, flew to another bit of dense scrub, totally back lit silhouette and then disappeared not to be seen again. (but still singing). The first hour was exciting, singing away, expecting it to appear any time. second hour frustrating. third hour annoying. final brief sighting totally underwhelming. Still, a tick and my only one to date.
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 21:25   #30
melodious

I think a semi-resident Yellow-legged Gull is the only local bird that has endeared itself so much that it has been named. It's called 'Psycho', which is perhaps a little but not really overly harsh. In less tolerant times it's morality might be considered a little risque too but, despite it's best efforts, it doesn't yet seem to have consummated it's passion for its clearly skeptical Lesser Black-back partner, much to the chagrin of those in need of new and stimulating ID challenges.
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 21:53   #31
Xenospiza
Undescribed

I saw my first countable Semipalmated Sandpiper in 1998, two days after one that was (eventually) not accepted, so I did not really think it was a tick at the time. Neither one I saw particularly well.
To make things worse, I was dipping a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper when I saw the Semi-p. (All came well with the Sharp-tailed the next day, at the same spot, just with 9 hours of travelling in between).
I finally got to twitch another Semipalmated Sandpiper last year, if only to feel better about this species!

Stejneger's Stonechat only became memorable in retrospect (after it had flown to Portland and its i.d. became apparent): I found it a very disappointing Siberian Stonechat when I saw it and did not spend much more than a minute watching it at quite a distance.
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 22:25   #32
Steviewonder

Blyth's Reed Warbler at Fagbury in Suffolk.

Reed Warblers in the canopy above my head and me asking "which one is it " ?

The reply from Lee Evans.."the one with the ring on it's leg"

"oh "
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 23:26   #33
Armand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviewonder View Post
Blyth's Reed Warbler at Fagbury in Suffolk.

Reed Warblers in the canopy above my head and me asking "which one is it " ?

The reply from Lee Evans.."the one with the ring on it's leg"

"oh "
no lessons learned from 'paddyfield warbler' then....
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 23:32   #34
melodious

The one going 'chiff' and 'chaff'?
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 00:11   #35
Julian Thomas

Britain and Ireland: either this year's Moltoni's Warbler on Blakeney Point (all that trudging for a few seconds' view) or the N Uist Hooded Merganser. Even the Nimmo's Pier Dc Cormorant was better than those.

World List: Fawn-coloured Lark in Namibia - would like to say it was as dull as it sounds, but frankly I can't even remember that much, other than I know I saw it. Even cisticolas are more exciting.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 01:12   #36
Owen Krout

Least memorable? Any of the Little Brown Birds. Which Sparrow is that is the worst for me. I often find I'm questioning, "Wait, do I have that tick already or not?" Or struggling over a photo trying to decide exactly what is that?

Least excited about? I'll have to join the pile on gulls. I draw the line at hanging out at dumps and/or sewage outlets.

In both cases often finally getting help on the ID and thinking, "That looks nothing like the illustrations in my field guides!"

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th October 2018, 01:15   #37
peedee

After decades of anticipation, I was really disappointed by the Anglesey Black Lark, it was a bit like a shit starling to be honest.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 02:01   #38
Atropos

Blyths Reed without a doubt...on the basis of how uninspired I was I got more selective in what I twitched and turned down lift to an American Coot because just couldn't summon up any enthusiasm
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 02:10   #39
aeshna5

Maybe Eastern Olivaceous Warbler? I do remember seeing the American Coot at Stodmarsh which I was pleased to see but not that exciting.

I do like gulls but some are ugly on that link!
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 07:04   #40
Welsh Peregrine

Female Blue-winged teal
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 07:13   #41
Sherpa
Common English name Paul Willoughby

House Sparrow
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 07:53   #42
Andrew Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedee View Post
After decades of anticipation, I was really disappointed by the Anglesey Black Lark, it was a bit like a shit starling to be honest.
Sacrilege! 🤭
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 07:58   #43
Andrew Clarke

Can’t be arsed to do much twitching these days but how can anyone possibly want to spend time and big money on escaped wildfowl - sorry Hooded Mergansers - or the likes of Snowy Egret which are basically Little Egrets with lores coloured in by a toddler’s yellow crayon?
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 08:20   #44
prhodes

How about Eastern Yellow Wagtail - and I haven't even seen one yet. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate Yellow Wagtails*, particularly a wonderful spring male flavissima - and I wish they were still common, but I suspect the 'Eastern' will be a tick for a tick sake.

*Sorry Western YW...like Western Osprey and Western Cattle Egret and is all that Western thing really necessary, when we scientific names for all species / subspecies. Sorry
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 08:31   #45
stuartvine

Spanish Sparrow
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 08:37   #46
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clarke View Post
Sacrilege! 🤭
Agree, off to the stocks with you where a conveyor belt of unidentifiable Gulls will be paraded past your eyes, followed by a range of big and little Canada Geese if necessary, until you see the error of your ways........
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 08:38   #47
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clarke View Post
Can’t be arsed to do much twitching these days but how can anyone possibly want to spend time and big money on escaped wildfowl - sorry Hooded Mergansers - or the likes of Snowy Egret which are basically Little Egrets with lores coloured in by a toddler’s yellow crayon?

Stop it now, it was me that ID'd the Snowy Egret.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 08:45   #48
edenwatcher

I thought the snowy egret was a stunner. Fabulous location at Balvicar, characterful behaviour and very confiding.

Rob

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th October 2018, 08:51   #49
Jonathan Williams

Mourning Dove on the hebs. Crouching behind a rock in horizontal rain through fogged up telescope. 23.5 hours from Warrington and back. 18 hours spent in the car. I questioned my sanity over that one.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 08:57   #50
Andrew Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Stop it now, it was me that ID'd the Snowy Egret.
Well done - seriously! I wouldn’t mind finding or even identifying such a mega but the idea of staring at endless miles of tarmac to join a scrum of listers for one fills me with dread.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: