• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpeckers in Yucatan, Mexico (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Hi all!

My fairly awful field guide for Yucatan lists both Golden-Fronted and Yucatan Woodpeckers as common birds in the region, but is very unclear about what the separating ID features are. Would anybody be able to explain to me how to tell them apart? Which woodpeckers do I have here, or are the ID features not visible?

(My guess is Golden-Fronted for the first, Yucatan for the second. Both photos taken in April 2015 in Uxmal)

Hopefully these will be a welcome break from some of the pixelated smudges I have posted recently :)

Attachments

• Golden-Fronted Woodpecker.jpg
    Golden-Fronted Woodpecker.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Yucatan Woodpecker.jpg
    Yucatan Woodpecker.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 37
Can't help with the ID, but 'Golden-fronted' in Yucatan (and elsewhere in Mexico away from the far NE) has been split as Velasquez's Woodpecker Melanerpes santacruzi :t:

Edit: the bird in photo 2 has a red spot at the base of the bill; that appears to be a character of some (but not all!) subspecies of Velasquez's Wp, but not of any of Yucatan Wp, so #2 is Velasquez's Wp.

Last edited:
I think you have both spp, but they're actually the other way round to your suggestions. #1 Yucatan and #2 Velasquez's (Golden-fronted).

Velasquez's is larger and longer-billed, but I personally found that to be embarrassingly less obvious in the field as it ought to be. Both spp can have yellow frontal tufts, depending on location, but Yucatan can't have red.

Awesome, didn't know about that split! I've had golden-fronted in the US as well, so I guess that makes Velasquez a new species for me :)

I think you have both spp, but they're actually the other way round to your suggestions. #1 Yucatan and #2 Velasquez's (Golden-fronted).

Velasquez's is larger and longer-billed, but I personally found that to be embarrassingly less obvious in the field as it ought to be. Both spp can have yellow frontal tufts, depending on location, but Yucatan can't have red.

Agree

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back