• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tablet Season again! (1 Viewer)

Dave B

'Tis the season when I get the urge to put digipen to tablet again - occurs once in a blue moon usually.

Here are the results this time around - self explanatory really. The full story is on my blog, and more are in the works - males next!

Attachments

• Ashy1.jpg
    Ashy1.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Swinhoe's1.jpg
    Swinhoe's1.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 93
  • ashy and swinhoe's copy5'.jpg
    ashy and swinhoe's copy5'.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 91
Well b*gger me; those minivets are similar - they even face the same way ;)
Serously though - terrific work; just the finish every watercolour/bodycolourist and gouachestrophile would strive towards. Great to see you found the artforum again :t:

Thanks to all for kind comments and interesting new words - very educational - this forum!

Here are the promised males - again - in rather similar pose!

Dave

Attachments

• ashy and swinhoe's males2.jpg
    ashy and swinhoe's males2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 89
  • ashy and swinhoe's males heads.jpg
    ashy and swinhoe's males heads.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 78
'Tis the season when I get the urge to put digipen to tablet again - occurs once in a blue moon usually.

Excellent stuff, Dave! I have a tablet too and I'm finding it difficult to get consistent results with it. I've tried it with both Photoshop & Painter - what software are you using? How about some pointers such as useful settings, brushes, techniques to help me to set off at least in the right direction? My first issue seems to be deciding on a decent size at which to work.

Any advice gratefully received.

LL

Excellent stuff, Dave! I have a tablet too and I'm finding it difficult to get consistent results with it. I've tried it with both Photoshop & Painter - what software are you using? How about some pointers such as useful settings, brushes, techniques to help me to set off at least in the right direction? My first issue seems to be deciding on a decent size at which to work.

Any advice gratefully received.

LL

Hi Len

I am hopelessly disorganized when it comes to 'techniques' - or maybe 'constantly evolving' would be a better-sounding term!

I use Photoshop Elements 5. This is not as sophisticated as Corel Painter, which many digi illustrators use, but it suits me.

I find that the setting the image size at 2000 pixels along the longest side gives me enough room to work with.

This last set of images I have used one of the brushes under 'Assorted'. It's simply labelled 41 pt and has a Zorro-like symbol next to it. It's a nice soft-edged brush.

I have used a brush size between 5 and about 25 pt, and varied the opacity from about 15% to 35% for most of the work. This enables you to build up layers gradually in a way that mimics application of layers of paint quite well.

I use the blur tool (same paint brush) to blend hard edges when necessary (less messy than 'smudge' tool).

That's probably more than enough info to be going on with. Look forward to seeing your work!

Cheers

Dave

Many thanks Dave. PS Elements will probably have different brush libraries to full Photoshop but the canvas & brush sizes and opacity tips will be useful, thanks :t:. Do you start with a scanned sketch and paint over it or do you take the brave (more skilled?) route and go straight in with the brush!?

I'll continue to experiment and post when/if I have anything to show.

Paul

Many thanks Dave. PS Elements will probably have different brush libraries to full Photoshop but the canvas & brush sizes and opacity tips will be useful, thanks :t:. Do you start with a scanned sketch and paint over it or do you take the brave (more skilled?) route and go straight in with the brush!?

I'll continue to experiment and post when/if I have anything to show.

Paul

Hi Paul

Confession time! For these minivet pics, I start by downloading all the pics I can find from the net of the species. I then choose one where I like the pose and essentially 'trace' the basic outline. This is a quick way of making sure the proportions are right, since this is critical to the purpose of the exercise.

I may then do some small adjustments to the angle of the head, wings, etc. Once I'm happy with the basic shape, I start filling in basic blocks of colour/shade with very transparent layers. From there on it's a process of building up detail with more layers. I prefer not to paint over the reference photo (even if it's the plumage I want to illustrate), so basically, once I have the outline, I proceed as one would a 'normal' painting.

If I am working from a sketch, I photograph it (don't have a scanner) and then use the jpg of the sketch in much the same way as that described above.

I find it useful to keep the background colour layer and the outline layer separate from the subsequent ones (so you can adjust the background colour and eventually, eliminate the hard outline).

Here are a couple of WIP shots to illustrate.

I discovered the brush is called 'Ornament 3' (see attached). But you may find another you like better, so best to experiment!

Dave

Attachments

• ashy and swinhoe's copy1.jpg
    ashy and swinhoe's copy1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 77
  • ashymale.jpg
    ashymale.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 76
  • ornament 3.jpg
    ornament 3.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 82
Hi Paul

I find it useful to keep the background colour layer and the outline layer separate from the subsequent ones (so you can adjust the background colour and eventually, eliminate the hard outline).

Dave

some top tips in there- and interesting on those brush selections: I've never thought to go beyond bog standard brush

Hi Paul, Confession time!
Dave

Nowt wrong with using 'references' Dave; your skill as a painter - digital or otherwise - is very apparent.

This is extremely useful; I hope to put it into practice very soon. Many thanks for taking the time to respond and, if you think of any other 'tips of the trade', please remember me! Looking forward to seeing more of your digital output.

Best wishes,

Paul

Nowt wrong with using 'references' Dave; your skill as a painter - digital or otherwise - is very apparent.

This is extremely useful; I hope to put it into practice very soon. Many thanks for taking the time to respond and, if you think of any other 'tips of the trade', please remember me! Looking forward to seeing more of your digital output.

Best wishes,

Paul

Likewise Paul, please share what you learn - I'm hungry to glean from others more technically and artistically competent. One thing I do regularly is to pore/drool over the work of digi-masters like Ojea and Marti Rodriguez Franch to see if I can work out how they achieve the amazing results they do.

Ojea prefers Corel Painter. He has put some WIPs on his blog, such as this post, which are helpful. I especially aspire to be able to produce smooth watercoloury finishes like this one, but have not been able to crack the intricacies of Corel Painter yet. So, anytime you want to put some tutorials up on YouTube, please be my guest!

Dave

[QUOTE if you think of any other 'tips of the trade', please remember me!

Paul[/QUOTE]

Hi Paul

Just remembered an important one which I forgot to mention earlier. When using these broad brushes, it's really helpful to adjust the angle of the brush, so that you can get more oblique or acute angles. You do this by dropping down the menu under the brush icon (it's in the RH corner in my Elements), and adjusting the point of the compass-like circle at the bottom.

Play around with the other sliding scales too, just to see how to blend colours and change the way the paint goes on the page.

Happy experimenting!

Dave

Attachments

• brush angle.jpg
    brush angle.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 50
All I can say is these look phenomenal, Dave! I'm afraid anything else wouldn't make sense as you're on another planet to how I operate, mate!

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back