• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (3 Viewers)

An American Redstart that fell/fluttered out of a tree only a few yards in front of me. I thought it was a pair of butterflies at first! Absolutely beautiful colors. The pictures I took of it are slightly out of focus because it was too close for my 300mm lens to focus.

Painted Bunting in East Saint Louis, Illinois. Finally found it after making the seven hour round-trip three years in a row.

Dave

Got a "life bird" at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge on Long Island, New York, on June 4 at 8 o'clock AM.

Fulvous Whistling-Duck

Initally there were three ducks, at West Pond on the Bay sitting with several Mallards, American Black Ducks and Mute Swans. Just as I was getting my binoculars on them they took flight. So I got to see them flying away. Not the best look in the world, but enough for me to at least see them.

However, after walking around to other places around West Pond, we returned to the area of the original sighting and there was one of the Fulvous Whistling-Ducks. We were able to view it for perhaps twenty minutes and got smashing views!

(This was my first visit to Jamaica Bay. I would like to go again sometime.)

When we got back home in Missouri I checked my database bird records and found that I had seen the Fulvous Whistling-Duck at Lake Baringo in East Africa on February 15, 2004. So this duck in New York was not a "lifer". It was still a good sighting though. My first sighting of this species for North America!

Last edited:
Black-breasted Puffleg, Yanococha Reserve, Ecuador; June 1st 2006.

Quite a rarity this, a very restricted endemic only found on the slopes of two volcanoes near Quito. Our local guide had rated our chances as about 1%!! I also had another seven lifer hummingbirds in the preceeding hour -
Shining Sunbeam
Purple-backed Thornbill
Sword-billed Hummingbird (wow!)
Great Sapphirewing
Buff-winged Starfrontlet
Sapphire-vented Puffleg
Golden-breasted Puffleg

All in a thick mist where the birds had to be within 30 metres to get any colour on them. And our vehicle had been unable to cope with the last fw km of the access track; the walk back to it was in heavy rain. Worth it though.

Steve

Mine was Cuckoo yesterday at Warnham LNR flying over. I have had a MASSIVE boost recently. Last year I had about 130ish and now I am on 171 for my life/British list!:D I reckon that is OK since I only started my list 2 years ago and am restricted to the South East. Am hoping to get up to 200 in the next year or two, have to work hard though!

Last edited:
Lesser Whitethroat last week, somewhere fairly local where we often go for bird walks. Also in May I had tree sparrow, also fairly local.

Just two this year, both in the last weeks:
(1) Baikal Teal: nice but well – ducks & fences! I won't mind not adding it to my list, but it did move north (slowly).
(2) Collared Flycatcher: fine bird, singing tirelessly, showing shortly. A few friendships may have withered as some 30 twitchers (who had been sworn to secrecy) had seen the bird (present for 3 weeks already) before the news broke. Probably, it is a returning bird... two years back there was one at the same freely accessible site (so we heard after it had left). Luckily, this time there was a happy end (for me anyway)!

Bay-Breasted Warbler, Evening Grosbeak, Lincoln's Sparrow, Cliff Swallow, Blue-headed Vireo, Gray Jay, Rusty Blackbird, and Alder Flycatcher all seen on 6/13/06 in Pittsburg New Hampshire.-2 I didn't see that I had hoped to were Boreal Chickadee and Black-backed Woodpecker.

Barred Owl, May 31, Bluebonnet Swamp, Baton Rouge, LA

I've heard them many times, this was the first time I actually saw one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back